• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Getting players involved - regional tavern roleplay

Memnus

First Post
Here's an idea that came to me last night, in order to get players involved. Each CM opens a thread in the Tavern boards, set at a tavern or similar gathering place in their kingdom. Inactive (or active, if appropriate) players in those regions can hang out, have conversations, spread rumors, etcetera. If players were paying attention, it'd probably be a more effective and interesting way of letting people know about seasonal events. Very little work involved for us, except opening the threads, and some plot hooks may even appear for DMs.

Any thoughts?

Northman

First Post
Really that's what the taverns are. Players can start threads and chat all they want. The only thing is that they are supposed to be in character. But that's the fun of it anyway.

In practice players have only used it for chat within gaming groups, often as official gaming, for a long time.

DMEntropy

First Post
I have been prodding, prompting, cajoling, urging and now coercing my party to respond to the threads I start in The Singing Swordfish. They are quite resistant to my efforts however.

It is a good idea. Seeing other adventures in progress will stimulate people to want to play and run games I believe. "Hey, look how much fun they are having. Why do don't we do......."

Emiricol

DMEntropy said:
I have been prodding, prompting, cajoling, urging and now coercing my party to respond to the threads I start in The Singing Swordfish. They are quite resistant to my efforts however.

It is a good idea. Seeing other adventures in progress will stimulate people to want to play and run games I believe. "Hey, look how much fun they are having. Why do don't we do......."
I've only just got my PCs using the taverns, really...

Northman

First Post
My group used them every week when we played. We used them for conversations and planning in character before the next session. "Let's do that on the boards." was a common saying. They would split treasure, etc. In fact, it became expected. If we didn't post duing the week, you missed out. I also gave out xp for it occasionally.

Since my new campaign is a post adventure... it wouldn't make sense to post here too. :)

Remove ads