• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 getting rid of full-attack in 3.5e

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
I seem to remember seeing a similar discussion where someone showed that the Old progression in AD&D where a Fighter got 1 and 1/2 attacks at level 8 (?) ( one attack the first round two attacks the secound) the 2 , 2 and 1/2 , finally 3, was statistically very similar to the current BAB progression (eg dealt similar damage on average). Moreover this is much simpler because all attacks are made at the same Bonus.

I'm thinking of adopting this in order to reduce rolling. The only thing that will need modifying is Improved/Greater Two-Weapon Fighting.

I think someone said above (I apologize for not being able to find it again) Get Rid of 'Full-Attack'. Let people make there attacks wherever in the movement they want.

As for AoO I'm going to modify them to only trigger by non-melee actions (picking something up, spell-casting, ranged weapon use) and when fleeing from an opponent or group of opponents -- even if that move is to go help your friend whose 20ft away fighting someone else.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Arkhandus said:
There are only a small handful of exceptions; Steel Wind, Flashing Sun, Pouncing Charge, and Time Stands Still are all that spring to mind, along with two or three that are only sort of like two attacks in one (Disarming Strike is both a normal attack and a disarm attempt, for example). Though a few maneuvers use a full-round action for one attack (like some of the special charge attacks).

Of Iron Heart alone, you could place Steel Wind, Mithral Tornado, Adamantine Hurricane, and Scything Blade all in the same grouping. They work similar to Whirlwind Attack/Cleave. if you consider that a "full attack," then you probably don't want these. Of course, Whirlwind Attack/Cleave is NOT a full attack, so it really shouldn't be an issue. Punishing Stance becomes incredibly crappy.

Diamond Mind has Avalanche of Blades and Time Stands Still, the latter being the sole capstone ability of the discipline (ie, you'd need to make up a new one in a game w/ no full attacks).

Tiger Claw has Pouncing Charge. All the boosts for extra attacks are basically worthless as well in a no full attack game. Girallon Windmill Flesh Rip (the one that adds rend damage, I think that's the name) would also be largely useless (if it isn't already a full attack action, I forget). Wolverine's Stance effectively loses half of its benefit.

Setting Sun would be largely fine, though Hydra Slaying Strike (foe cannot make a full attack) becomes useless, and the capstone maneuver, Tornado Throw, can easily last longer than a full attack.

Desert Wind has Flashing Sun. It also has Desert Tempest, which doesn't grant an actual full attack, but gives a bunch of attacks (each time you leave foe's threatened area, max of once per foe). The +fire damage boosts and the stance for +1d6 fire damage become next to worthless, too.

Devoted Spirit, Stone Dragon, Shadow Hand, and White Raven should be pretty much fine as is, maybe Shadow Hand is minorly inconvenienced. I might be forgeting some things, too.

Of ToB feats, Snap Kick becomes a major question mark, and the oft-powergamed Stormguard Warrior loses alot of luster. The Tiger Claw tactical feat suffers, too, but I don't think anyone cared about it anyway. ^_^

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads