• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ghostwalk - Who's Used it?

BV210

Explorer
I am considering utilizing Ghostwalk in my ongoing FR campaign, setting it in the insular nation of Ra-Khati. My question is on the mechanics of Ghostwalk? Who has played it? How did it go? Any pointers?

A secondary area of concern is when the PCs leave Ra-Khati and the Manifest Zone as the campaign spans Faerun. What happens to those who have become ghosts? If I read the rules correctly, they simply become incorporeal and can roam where they wish.

Bottom line, I'd like to hear some of your experiences with what I think is a very intriguing subset of the rules.

Sucros

First Post
Incorperality is a mixed bag to advantages/disadvantages. Spellcasters get 50% concealment, but can't handle spell components. Warriors get the same advantage, but can't wear armour that isn't ghost touch, weapons that aren't ghost touch, and can't manipulate many objects. I've never had the chance to play a campaign myself, but I've always wanted to.

celewritor

First Post
I was using the rules in a campaign a few years ago but it died before any PCs got a chance to use them. I also played 2 sessions in a Ghostwalk game but again never used any of the rules.

William drake

First Post
BV210 said:
I am considering utilizing Ghostwalk in my ongoing FR campaign, setting it in the insular nation of Ra-Khati. My question is on the mechanics of Ghostwalk? Who has played it? How did it go? Any pointers?

A secondary area of concern is when the PCs leave Ra-Khati and the Manifest Zone as the campaign spans Faerun. What happens to those who have become ghosts? If I read the rules correctly, they simply become incorporeal and can roam where they wish.

Bottom line, I'd like to hear some of your experiences with what I think is a very intriguing subset of the rules.

Well, when I used it, it was alot of fun, but I also play by some house rules that dont make being a ghost the most powerful thing, or a real pain. Its an ok book, but you should put your own spin on it and see what happens

Soel

First Post
I'd recommend not using the Calling. Also, it always seemed to me that the Eidolon/Eidoloncer would work better as templates than as class levels.

hong

WotC's bitch
Sucros said:
Incorperality is a mixed bag to advantages/disadvantages. Spellcasters get 50% concealment, but can't handle spell components. Warriors get the same advantage, but can't wear armour that isn't ghost touch, weapons that aren't ghost touch, and can't manipulate many objects.

FWIW, the latest version of the incorporeality rules states that if you turn incorporeal, so does your gear. This doesn't help the fighter unless his stuff is ghost touch, but it means the wiz can still use material components.

lrsach01

Explorer
my players were...hesitant to play a ghost even when I modified some rules to aleviate the pull to the after world. It made an interesting setting and everyone got into it otherwise. The city had lots of flavor but most importantly, it was different. I'm the newbie in the group. I started playing with 3.0 ed. Everyone else in the group played 1st and 2nd. Ghostwalk was sufficiently different that the players didn't know what the mosters were or were surprised by a new template or location. It was fun but not as much as I hoped.

I'd give it 7 out of 10.

BV210

Explorer
Soel said:
I'd recommend not using the Calling. Also, it always seemed to me that the Eidolon/Eidoloncer would work better as templates than as class levels.

I had thought about dropping the Calling part, too. I'm curious as to your reasoning for making Eidolon/Eidoloncer templates?

To the other responders, I appreciate your feedback. It's firing me up about actually using Ghostwalk.

Remove ads