• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Giant Chicken, a funny encounter that can be quite deadly....

Chimera

First Post
Some minor adjustments, to make it more flexible...

Advancement: 4-8 HD (Large); 9-15 HD (Huge); 16-24 HD (Gargantuan); 25-40 HD (Collosal)

Then add in Snatch and Swallow Whole for Huge or larger.

Having raised chickens, I know that the spurs are actually the dangerous part, not the "claws", so I would change that the Claw attacks to Spurs for the same damage.

And it would seem that Bite and Peck are the same thing, more or less.

"Oh S***! A giant chicken with adamantium spurs! RUN!!!"

"bgk-GAAAAWWWKKKK"

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
It's such a wonderfully flexible monster, almost as if it were specifically designed for the addition of templates?

Anyway, fear my fully advanced corrupted feral dire chicken... with a vorpal beak and spurs of vile wounding.

Wolf72

Explorer
this looks great! ... repost this in homebrews for the monster forums too.

i think the wing buffet mmm wings dmg should be less, but that's just a first impression.

Fieari

Explorer
Derulbaskul said:
It's such a wonderfully flexible monster, almost as if it were specifically designed for the addition of templates?

Anyway, fear my fully advanced corrupted feral dire chicken... with a vorpal beak and spurs of vile wounding.
Fancy that, I just purchased the Book of Templates PDF online, and while unfortunately it didn't offer me the exact template I was looking for, it has left me itching to try it out...

======================

Heightened Demi-Gorgon Giant Chicken Dreadnaught

Large Animal (Heightened Augmented Dreadnaught)
Hit Dice: 8d10+11 (always 91 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30ft.
Armor Class: 31 (+6 Dex, +16 Natural Armor, -1 size), touch 15, flat-footed 25
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+11
Attack: Bite +10 melee +8 ranged
Full Attack: Bite 1d6+4, claw 1d6+4
Face/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath Weapon, Punishing Strike, Felling Strike
Special Qualities: Scent, Lowlight Vision, Run, Slow Fall 10, Damage Reduction 12/+4, Fast Healing 1, Spell Resistance 29, Cold and Fire Resistance 10, Immunities
Saves: (Recalculate these later)
Abilities: Str 34, Dex 23, Con 18, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 12
Skills: 7 Skill Points
Feats: Combat
Reflexes, Power Attack, Cleave, Endurance, and Iron Will, (Plus any additional feats earned from hit dice)
Environment: warm plains/forests
Organization: solitary rooster, flock females
Challenge Rating: 16
Treasure: Incidental
Alignment: Always Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: ----
Level Adjustment: ---

This huge, 10 foot tall bird appears to be nothing so much as a giant chicken. It glares menacingly at you as it crows warningly....

No one knows where this strange creature originated. It is clear that it was once an ordinary chicken but magical experiments have turned this farm fowl into a monsterous bird, capable of causing real harm to the unwary.

Giant Chickens are aggressive and territorial and will attack anything they percieve as a threat. Which means, they will attack anything of their size or smaller on a whim.

COMBAT:

Wings: (??? This was being debated, so I'll leave it blank ???)

Breath Weapon (Su): Turn to stone permanently, cone, 30 feet, every 1d6 rounds (3x/day, maximum). A successful Fortitude save negates this ability (DC 11 +half the base creature’s hit dice, rounded down).

Punishing Strike (Ex): 4 times a day, Giant Chicken may make a mighty attack against any one opponent, adding its Hit Dice total to both
the attack roll and the resulting damage. Use of this ability must be declared prior to making the attack. If the attack misses, that punishing strike attempt is used for the day. This ability cannot be used more often than once every 1d4+1 rounds. Unused punishing strike attempts are lost at the end of the day and cannot be "stored" for use later.

Felling Strike (Ex): Whenever a Giant Chicken scores a successful critical hit, it can elect to make a felling strike by rolling again. If the result of this third roll would hit the target, the target takes the full damage from the critical hit as normal, but the
dreadnaught also inflicts twice its current Hit Dice in additional damage. If the third roll misses the target, the felling strike is treated as a normal hit and not a critical.

Slow Fall (Ex): Giant Chicken treats falls of any distance as a fall 10 feet shorter. This is identical to the monk ability of the same name.

Immunities: Giant Chicken Dreadnaughts are immune to disease, poison, paralysis, stunning, and all mindinfluencing spells and effects.

==============================

I probably missed some recalculations here or there... ooh, like the new attack bonuses and such. But it's getting late. I'll leave that for you to work out.

Last edited:

kirinke

First Post
Whoot. My next effort will be the bunny of doom. or as we all know it: da Vorpal Rabbit.
'Eh... wat's up doc?"
AYEEEE GET it off! GET IT OFFF! it's chewing my ear! Run AWAY!.
lol

okies, i'll do the original one in homebrews and then we can have fun with different templates there. and give something for the DM's to really weird out their players. ^)^

okies, it's there with all of the basic suggestions added. I'm leaving the templates for others to have fun with. ^)^

how i got the stats for this bad boy was using the monste calc on site i found. just plug in the numbers and it stats it out. then add the tasty flavor. &_&

Last edited:

Raven Crowking

First Post
kirinke said:
This huge, 10 foot tall bird appears to be nothing so much as a giant chicken. It glares menacingly at you as it crows warningly....

No one knows where this strange creature originated. It is clear that it was once an ordinary chicken but magical experiments have turned this farm fowl into a monsterous bird, capable of causing real harm to the unwary.

Ever read The Food of the Gods by H.G. Wells? They encounter your foul fowl in that book!

RC

Remove ads