Giant Chicken, a funny encounter that can be quite deadly....

kirinke

First Post
Large Animal (Augmented)
Hit Dice: 4d8+4 (22hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30ft.
Armor Class: 11 (+2 Dex, -1 size), touch 11, flat-footed 9
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+11
Attack: Bite +6 melee +4 ranged
Full Attack: Bite 1d6+4, claw 1d6+4
Face/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: peck 1d6+4, wing buffet 2d6+4
Special Qualities: scent, lowlight vision, run
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +1
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: 7 Skill Points
Feats: 2 total feats from HD
Environment: warm plains/forests
Organization: solitary rooster, flock females
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: incidental
Alignment: always chaotic neutral
Advancement: ----
Level Adjustment: ---

This huge, 10 foot tall bird appears to be nothing so much as a giant chicken. It glares menacingly at you as it crows warningly....

No one knows where this strange creature originated. It is clear that it was once an ordinary chicken but magical experiments have turned this farm fowl into a monsterous bird, capable of causing real harm to the unwary.

Giant Chickens are aggressive and territorial and will attack anything they percieve as a threat. Which means, they will attack anything of their size or smaller on a whim.

COMBAT:
WING BUFFET: Giant chickens are flightless, but they can still deliver powerful blows with their wings, causing 2d6+4 hit points of damage

PECK: like all birds, giant chickens are able to peck their opponents, causing 1d6+4 hit points of damage

BITE: Giant chickens are able to bite their opponents, causing 1d6+4 hit points of damage

CLAW: Giant chickens have the ability to claw their opponents, causing 1d6+4 hit points of damage.

This was actually used by my brother in the DnD first edition as an encounter for a first level party. My character a wizard, magic-missiled it to death. We ate chicken for a week.... Ahhh good times.... :lol:

Last edited:

kirinke

First Post
about right, since during our first encounter we were first and second level and my character got lucky with a magic missile.

Aaron2

Explorer
I had a druid IMC who insisted on wildshaping into a dire chicken to mock her foes. My stats were pretty close.

Aaron

kirinke

First Post
i used the giant eagle as a basis, but lowered the wisdom some, considering that chickens aren't known to be too bright or wise. And this particular chicken is based off of common barn fowl, not the wild chickens, which are much smarter/wiser.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
A challenge:

Can anyone write a CR...let's say 9...giant chicken? Go whole hog with it, including vorpal beak, sonic crow attack, adamantine claw scratch, the works. I think the idea is pretty funny, and I'd like to see if anyone can come up with a really good chicken build.

Also, eggs=treasure

:D

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Perhaps a whirlwind as well?

Also, if it's beheaded (perhaps all critical hits with slashing weapons behead it), it goes berserk for a certain number of rounds and attacks with a Whirlwind Attack as a standard action so it can move as well.

Last edited:

Turanil

First Post
Dr. Awkward said:
Can anyone write a CR...let's say 9...giant chicken? Go whole hog with it, including vorpal beak, sonic crow attack, adamantine claw scratch, the works. I think the idea is pretty funny, and I'd like to see if anyone can come up with a really good chicken build.

I think it should be named the UBER CHICKEN, speak German, and receive the Fiendish or Half-fiend template.

Glabrezu Jones... :p

Remove ads