Giantlands, reviewed by David Flor on Twitter.

Dioltach

Legend
Well, if the visitors are supposed to be giants then you don't really need a big park. Everything in it can be on a tiny scale. (Note that I don't have the first clue of what Giantlands does, and whether the PCs are in fact giants.)

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Yeah, that's been bantered around for at least a year that I'm aware of. A dream. Pipe dream, but a dream nonetheless. I suspect it will be an amusement park in the same way the Dungeon Hobby Shop is a museum. I.e., something contained to someone's home. Kinda like how people set up their own mini haunted houses in their garage during Halloween.
If I were a betting man I probably would bet that my neighbors who have a garage-based haunted house every year (or did prior to COVID at least) will have more of a physical presence with their haunted house than this park will ever have.

Neighborhood haunted houses have the advantage of being run once a year by people who are dedicated to their craft and don't have to concern themselves with petty things like "paying a staff", "paying overhead" and "profit" out of the proceeds of their annual hobby event. Once you get past the expense of the land and the construction, just staffing a place like this with actors is an expensive endeavor.

Staffan

Legend
Wow - that sounds so much worse than it should be.

Not even the worst bit but one that jumped out immediately - I thought people figured out that randomly rolling attributes on a span of 0-100 with uniform probability was a bad idea decades ago. Even some of the first percentile driven games (like say Star Frontiers) understood you shouldn't do that. To see it in a modern game not written by a 12 year old figuring things out on first principles is shocking. To see it on a game with Jim Ward's name on it and being sold for $130 a pop is utterly baffling.
The one place where it can make some sense is if it's filtered somehow for most actual game applications. For example, Rolemaster has stats that are (mostly) 1-100 and in the earlier editions were rolled on d100, but almost nothing used the actual stat. Instead you used a stat bonus – sort of like D&D does, except turned into a bell curve of sorts. You also had some modifiers, so any roll of 1-20 was rerolled for PCs, and the two stats that were most important for your class had an automatic minimum of 90, so you could hide a bad roll there.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
The line about gender being as fluid and varied as it is in real life seems odd to me if these guys were going hard in on anti-wokeism. I kind of wonder if one of them 'went off the reservation', so to speak (I think it was Ernie?), and the others decided to tag along because they figured their names were mud anyway.

Sacrosanct

Legend
The line about gender being as fluid and varied as it is in real life seems odd to me if these guys were going hard in on anti-wokeism. I kind of wonder if one of them 'went off the reservation', so to speak (I think it was Ernie?), and the others decided to tag along because they figured their names were mud anyway.
I guess that means Dineheart and Giantlands goes on the RED list lol

Remove ads