Giff

qstor

Adventurer
I dont have any of the Spelljammer material. Could someone tell me what the background of these guys was? What crystal sphere they were from? And what AD&D supplement covered them?

I downloaded the 3e stats for them from the Creature Catalog. I'm thinking of using them as a PC race in Dragonstar.

Thanks!

Mike

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Salutations,

Their first appearance was in the first spelljamming box-set, in the back of one of the books.

I don't think a sphere of origin was mentioned, but IIRC- they had a sense to them similar to the old british navy of the late 18th century. Plus, they enjoyed explosions/gun powder.

If no one has posted more when I get home, then I will try to find the material I have on them and help you out more.

FD

Mares eat oats, and Giff eat oats, so the giff just up and shoots em!

I pondered the Giff-PC at one time. Here is an approximation of the results (Forgize me if it is a bit rough):

------------------------------
The Giff
The Giff are a race of powerfully muscled mercenaries. They are civilized, though due to their non-magical nature, spellcasters are rare amongst them. Giff regularly hire themselves with various groups as mercenaries, bodyguards, enforcers, and general legbreakers. The Arcane do a small business in Giff mercenaries, but usually local contractors do the task.
Personality: The Giff typically conduct themselves as soldiers. Asking little beyond what is their due, and priding themselves on their weapon skill, and past victories. They are generally a straightforward and honest race, usually willing to let others do the thinking, and leave the fighting to the Giff. Giff adore war stories of all kinds, and often engage in soulful retellings of past glories. They collect weapons as others might collect fine wines, attaching a vast storehouse of honors to the keeping of fine weapons.
Physical Description: The Giff are Humanoid, with stocky, flat, cylindrical legs a barrel chested torso, arms and fingers. The head is the most striking feature, as it greatly resembles that of a Hippopotamus with a natural helmet of flexible, chitinous plates. Giff come in colors ranging from black to gray to gold, and many have colorful tattoos that leave their bodies a patchwork record of past deeds.
Juvenile Giff average between 6 3/4 to 7 1/2 feet in height with weight around 400+ pounds. While an Adult Giff is around 8 to 9 feet in height and can weigh as much as 1000 pounds! A Giff reaches physical maturity at around 16 years of age.
Much to the surprise of many folks, the Giff are almost exclusively vegetarian. In fact, except for the eating of an occasional fish, Giff consider the concept of eating “carrion” to be appalling. Giff can eat many plants that are far to course for most humanoids systems such as grasses, leaves, and the shells and seeds of nuts. Many Giff believe that the deficiency of physical strength amongst other races is due to the lack of “proper” foods. A famous Giff “stew” called Yaneesh; (boiled spiced grass) is a favorite. And while the yellow peppery broth is edible to humans the grass and shoots in it are not. Other Giff cooking should be considered similarly hazardous.
Relations: The Giff get along well with the more military minded races. The Dwarves in particular, are appreciated by the Giff, both for their fighting skills, and structured lives, as well as their weapon making skills. The structured and elegant Elven Fleet is appreciated by the Giff, however few friendships exist between the races, as the Elves frown upon mercenaries. The Arcane and Humans have the best overall relationships with the Giff, as Mercenaries are always needed, and human innovation keeps the Giff in good supply with smokepowder, while the Arcane supply transportation and frequent job opportunities.
Alignment: Giff are nearly Lawful in alignment, as their military upbringing is extremely structured, though there are those who rebel. The mercenary emotional detachment generally breeds a Neutral leaning to their alignment as well.
Giff Lands: The Giff have no lands, wandering the spheres in the service of one race or another. The Giff homeworld is the stuff of legend, as no living Giff has seen it. Some tales say that the Giff, who were rescued by the Arcane, destroyed this homeworld. Others say that the Giff sold their planet and their lives for Spelljamming helms that the Giff couldn’t use. Still other say that the Giff world is just beyond the range of ones ship, in a land where such warrior races are common, and the losers are exiled to the known worlds.
Whatever the truth, The Giff describe their world in legendary terms, a thick verdant jungle, covered with swamps, mangrove trees, and fruit plants. The few mountains are rich in metals, and gunpowder.
Religion: The Giff are not a religious people, not to say that they are atheists. They just believe in busying themselves with structured, and worthwhile endeavors. As they see it, an honorable military career.
Language: The Giff posses their own rumbling language called simply Giff, though few young Giff actively speak it. Most Giff generally speak common, to better make deals with other races.
Names: Giff names are blunt, and uncomplicated. Often originating in the Giff language.
Male Names: Pomj, Dromb, Lewmur, Hurst, Ularn.
Female Names: Ulyrn, Weelso, Hrusta, Beluarr, Yuralsha.
Adventurers: All Giff are fascinated with tales of valor, and such tales often attract young Giff to pursue their own adventures. Other Giff, join adventuring parties as a fellow mercenary, while others still seek to escape the regimented lifestyle so prevalent among the Giff. Whatever the reason, the Giff can and do make excellent adventurers.

Giff Racial Traits:
+14 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, -4 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom: Giff are renowned for their vast strength and endurance. However Giff are also known for their lack of grace and imagination.
·Base speed 20ft
·Large sized : As Large-sized creatures, giff suffer a –1 to Armor Class, and Attack bonuses, they also have a 10 foot reach in combat and can lift and carry significantly more than a Human.
·Spell Resistance: 13; This extraordinary ability is in operation at all times, and must be overcome by even beneficial magic, such as healing. A Giff spellcaster must overcome this resistance to cast any spells with personal range. See DMG page 71 for details on Spell Resistance.
·Head Butt: The Giff may employ a head butt melee attack to deal normal damage. If the Giff makes a Charge attack the number of damage dice is doubled (before Strength bonus). Use of this attack is considered “with a weapon”. In other words, a juvenile Giff can head butt for 1d4 points of damage (plus Str modifier), or charge for 2d4 points of damage.
·Natural Armor +4.
·Hit Dice: At 1st level Giff characters receive 4d8 hit dice, +2 to their Base Attack bonus, 6 points in skills, and one free feat before adding any class levels. They are proficient in Greatswords, Firearms, and all armors. “Class” skills for a Giff are; Craft (Armorer), Intimidate, Knowledge (Military), Search and Swim.
·Trigger-happy: Every time that a Giff character has the opportunity to use a flashy, or unusual weapon, the Giff must succeed in a Will check (at DC 14). If the Giff fails in this check s/he will use the weapon regardless of the tactical situation, or allies in the path of fire. This affects weapons such as Firearms, Greek Fire, or a Wand of Fireballs, but can, at times, include any weapon in which the Giff is enthusiastic.
·ECL +6: Giff are considerably more powerful than standard characters and thus rise in level more slowly.
.Favored Class: Fighter

The Giff write up above needs the following alteration:

Hit Dice: At 1st level Giff characters receive 4d8 hit dice, +4 to their Base Attack bonus, 12 points in skills, and one free feat before adding any class levels. They are proficient in Martial weapons, and no armor or shields. “Class” skills for a Giff are; Craft (Armorer), Intimidate, Knowledge (Military), Knowledge (Spelljamming), Listen, Navigation (Wildspace), Search Spot, and Swim.

The Giff (especially as presented above) are a very powerful race. But DM's and Players alike should realize that they are extremely limited. The SR, though quite helpful, can be a real pain. Especially since most opponents will target the Giff first, big powerful warrior types ALWAYS need lots of healing.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Hey gang...Im working on the Giff even as we speak for possible inclusion in the published CC.

This may come as good news to those SJ fans who felt that the lack of the Giff in the Dragon mag SJD20 article was a disappointment!

If yall would post here any suggestions you would like to see for the Giff, Ill see what I can include! :)

And Qstor...the 2e source I have for the giff says quite plainly that their Str bonus is +7, and that they are as strong (if not stronger) than hill giants. I have their Str set at 24, which is, indeed a +14 over the 10 average ability score.

qstor

Adventurer
Thanks Erica....I saw a conversion on the Net that had the PC str adjustment at +7 so it should be +14? I was thinking of using Giff's as PC races in my dragonstar game.

Also, How about the neogi and the radiant dragon too in the published CC? Oh and my conversion of the lock lurker :)

Mike

Remove ads