Gift Ideas for Game Masters

I'm a lifelong game master, so I'm always on the lookout for gamer gear that I can't find anywhere else (or in the case of my 3D printer, make myself). If you're looking to buy something for your GM, here's my recommendations. I've ordered them in price from least to most expensive.

modifierdice.jpg

Dice Counters

• Brand: JGFinds
  • Price: $9
If you want a quick and easy way to determine modifiers to a monster or character, these dice make it easy. Numbering from one to six with black indicating negative numbers and white indicating positive, you can easily put these dice next to any critter and spot the modifier at a glance.

trackingstands.jpg

Monster Stands with Health Tracker

• Brand: CZYY
  • Price: $16
If you have a DM who doesn't invest in miniatures but likes stand-up tokens, these stands do double-duty as to keep the figures standing upright as well as provide an easy means of tracking initiative or damage.

goldonblackdice.jpg

Gold on Black Metal Dice

• Brand: Yellow Mountain Imports
  • Price: $20
There was a time when metal dice were rare. No longer. I use metal dice sparingly, usually for steampunk-style characters or when I play robots (like in our current post-apocalyptic Dungeons & Dragons campaign). For the most part, the style works, but for general D&D I prefer dice that look as expensive as they cost. These gold-trimmed dice are both legible and fancy.

battlegridmat.jpg

Battle Grid Mat

• Brand: Tidyboss
  • Price: $30
I had my doubts about these mats but once I used them in a game I was an instant fan. It includes a beach, grass, ruins, snow, wood, and parchment. I use the stone ruins and grass most frequently. It comes with dry erase markers and an eraser. They even throw in a set of dice.

mimicchest.jpg

Mimic Chest

• Brand: Conjurer Co.
  • Price: $33
This isn't a box to carry dice. It's a box to store dice; the distinction is important, because this mimic box is heavy. But if you want a place at home to store dice, this is an awesome set piece. Leave it closed and tell your players to get some dice from it when the lights are dim. I did this once and the look on my player's face was priceless. The quality of the sculpture is excellent too: it feels like a chest on the outside and looks like a mimic (complete with teeth and glaring eyeball!) on the inside.

XLdicetray.jpg

XL Dice Case

• Brand: GEEKON
  • Price: $45
If you know a game master who is carrying dice for everyone, or if they just need to carry a lot of other stuff besides books, this extra large case is for them. It includes a foam insert and a generous pocket for other items that don't easily fit into a rectangular case. It's nominally for dice, but miniatures and just about anything else can fit too (including a folding dice tower). Best of all, it tucks into a generously-sized dice tray.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

aco175

Legend
Those dice trays are sold out on Amazon, but I saw these that look good for $17.00. Not sure if I can fit a pen/pencil in one of the slots though instead of dice.

1606745754387.png

Last year I bought this one for a gift for $12.00. It is good since it is the size of a piece of paper that fits in with your books and stuff before you snap it together.

1606745996917.png

jasper

Rotten DM
Great ideas!

The TidyBoss Battle Grid Mats seem to be unavailable from Amazon though :(

$34 and they 2 by 3 feet long.

A good extending Back Scratcher. My player bought me one so I could move minis which were out of reach, or point to things.

Coffee Mug. One of my players bought me a coffee mug for work. Says "I am a dungeon master don't question me."

Dollar Store Gift card. For those dms who use cheap props.

Last edited:

rharding

Villager
  1. Dice containers
  2. Tabletop mats
  3. (maybe) portable/wheeled storage boxes
I'd argue would be the most universal gifts for a GM. GMs already have dice or probably don't need more, and those dice counters/monster stands are neat but the GM might not end up using them. Every GM that uses square maps is going to want more tabletop mats, every GM can use a nice dice bag/box, and nearly every GM is looking to upgrade their materials storage situation.

The Tidyboss battlemats are unavailable on Amazon.com (sold out) and WAY more than 30 USD equivalent on Amazon.ca. Pity, it does look like an excellent gift for a new DM.

Hurin70

Adventurer
So weird, it's $34 for me on Amazon right now: https://amzn.to/33sNsJ0
There's a difference between Amazon.com and Amazon.ca (the Canadian version). Prices on the CDN version are often much higher (those of us here in Canada sometimes shop on the .com/US site because even with the exchange and the international shipping, prices on .com are often still cheaper than .ca). So that might be the reason.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases