• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Girl dies after kiss from boyfriend

Henry

Autoexreginated
I've heard sadder stories, but this one's pretty sad.

Link to Story

A 15-year-old girl with a peanut allergy died after kissing her boyfriend, who had just eaten a peanut butter snack, hospital officials said Monday.

Christina Desforges died in a Quebec hospital Wednesday after doctors were unable to treat her allergic reaction to the kiss the previous weekend.

Desforges, who lived in Saguenay, about 155 miles north of Quebec City, was almost immediately given a shot of adrenaline, a standard tool for treating the anaphylactic shock brought on by a peanut allergy, officials said.

An autopsy was being performed. Dr. Nina Verreault, an allergist at the Chicoutimi Hospital in Saguenay, declined to comment on the case.

Imagine just a kiss killing you. I know there have to be people on ENWorld living with nut allergies, but what amazes me is dealing with the sheer amount of ways you can come into contact with the allergen in the world - from what I can tell checking wrappers, not one candy bar is safe, and you pretty much have to prepare all meals yourself, because every restaurant I've ever seen has used nuts in some dish they've cooked.

Or maybe I'm just misreading how much "trace" it takes?

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
A guy I used to work with was allergic to peanuts. He kept one of those huge adrenaline syringes in his desk drawer at work. He told me one time what it was for, and how I was to administer this shot of adrenaline to save his life.

Think Pulp Fiction. :confused:

I was like, "Dude, I'm sorry, I'm just gonna have to watch you die..."

As for trace: He got severely (though not life-threateningly) sick one time from handling a packet of cheap tattoos from a Cracker Jack box. Not, like, immediately out of the box. Just something that someone had left sitting around their desk.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Pbartender said:
Imagine inadvertantly killing your girlfriend with just a kiss.

Yeah, that's pretty much 'Therapy for Life' there....

I had no idea some people could be that sensitive to the nut allergy.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Henry said:
Imagine just a kiss killing you.

annapaquinrogue27yb.jpg

Unavailable for comment.

The Shaman

First Post
I call B.S.

Anaphylactic shock appears in minutes to hours, not days - that's why those with allergies keep adrenaline nearby.

This doesn't sound right to me.

devilbat

First Post
Other reports I have read on this story have said the kiss happened a few hours earlier.

I have a neighbor whose one year old son has a deadly allergy to peanuts. It basically keeps them from going anywhere. We had them over a few weeks ago. I had spent hours sanitizing the house, and making sure we were peanut free. Within fifteen minutes, the little guy broke out in hives.

Sad to see.

Remove ads