D&D 1E Giving an AD&D feel to 5e

My response and reaction was meant tongue in cheek in response to his own comments.
Yeah, that's not actually detectable from your post, it just looks like one person being equally unreasonable to another. I picked you up because yours was the one I knew wasn't really true. Such is the fate of sarcasm and apparently tongue-in-cheekness on the internets!

I do love the giant terrifying kissy face though so all is forgiven.

Hussar

Legend
A lot of the magic items in the modules were not even meant to be found. Most players would just walk past them as they were either covered in garbage or hidden in secret doors that were not easily found. How many groups ever walked past the lich in descent of the drow? Quite a lot I assure you. And of those that found that lich, about half negotiated their exit with gifts of magic and begging for their lives.
This is another myth that has been dispelled. Taking the Moathouse, as an example, virtually none of the treasure is hidden. Same in most modules, with very few exceptions.

The irony of statements here though are hilliarious. Take:

In other words, you make many assertions as to what "1e is" because that's what (for example) "linear modules" or "G1" or "UA" do, but don't really explain why your table played the way it did.

followed by

It was very DIY and heavy house rules. Weapon Mastery from BECMI was more commonly used in 1e than Weapon Specialization.

Really? Weapon mastery was more commonly used in 1e? Proof of that is what? I know I never, ever saw that and, until today, you are the very first person I've ever seen make the claim. Didn't the Masters rules (which I think is where weapon mastery comes from) come out in 1985? I know weapon mastery isn't in Moldvay Basic/Expert.

And, of course, we have this:

How many groups ever walked past the lich in descent of the drow? Quite a lot I assure you

Oh, you "assure me". Ok, well, I guess that's me told then. ROTF. Look, I'm not saying my experiences were universal. I'm just saying that neither were yours.

teitan

Legend
Yeah, that's not actually detectable from your post, it just looks like one person being equally unreasonable to another. I picked you up because yours was the one I knew wasn't really true. Such is the fate of sarcasm and apparently tongue-in-cheekness on the internets!

I do love the giant terrifying kissy face though so all is forgiven.
What about my comment was untrue? I said “my experience” and unlike the original commenter going around insulting people and acting like his experience was only universal I implied he must not have had much experience back in the day to be making such a claim. It was sarcasm but it was also stating a fact of my experiences. Had I said it was universal that no one used it and considered it a broken mess we would have a different story. Besides aren’t we supposed to be all about personal experience being the universal truth these days or did I miss a left turn somewhere 😉

Greg K

Legend
Well, I still remember Conan Unchained adventure module and it's follow up. Before UA, Barbs were multiclassed characters and we took example on Conan... A fighter/thief... Conan was a simple fighter thief.... so were all our barbs before UA....
If the barbarian was human, prior to UA, they would have been dual-classed rather than multi-classed (unless using a house rule). Remember, humans, officially, could not multi-class in AD&D.

S'mon

Legend
If the barbarian was human, prior to UA, they would have been dual-classed rather than multi-classed (unless using a house rule). Remember, humans, officially, could not multi-class in AD&D.
There were multiclass humans in the Lankhmar & Conan settings.

teitan

Legend
Yeah we used multiclasses for humans and didn’t use level limits because the power of the Demi humans wasn’t so much more than humans but we did do class restrictions because culturally it made sense.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
This is another myth that has been dispelled. Taking the Moathouse, as an example, virtually none of the treasure is hidden. Same in most modules, with very few exceptions.
In L1 Secret of Bone Hill lies a Horn of Valhalla. It's probably the single most valuable piece of treasure in the module. How many groups ever found it? (my own tally combined as player and DM is 1 of 4, and it didn't go well for the 1: the wrong class used it and the summoned warriors promptly killed the user...)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Yeah we used multiclasses for humans and didn’t use level limits because the power of the Demi humans wasn’t so much more than humans but we did do class restrictions because culturally it made sense.
We also did multiclasses for Humans and toned down - but didn't completely remove until much later - the level limits for Demi-Humans. Along with this came a gradual erosion in the various benefits Demi-Humans had going for them.

We still have class restrictions by species, same reason as you.

werecorpse

Adventurer
My main methods to give 5e an AD&D feel is award 1/10th exp and no limit on magic item attunement. My recollections of the game it was about rising levels slowly but getting to try and use all the cool loot you found along the way.

I also nerfed Paladins a fair bit.

Remove ads