D&D 1E Giving an AD&D feel to 5e

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Interesting - I don't think I've seen a 2" grid!
Back in the Day here in UK Games Workshop put 28mm metal minis on 2 cm square bases, so you could almost have got 3 across a 2"/5cm corridor. But GW's own dungeon floorplans used a 2 cm = 5' scale so too narrow.
We put our own grid on a chalkboard using indelible-ink felt pens*. Half an afternoon's work that you only have to do once, 'cause it lasts for a lifetime. 2-inch grid, 10' squares, works like a hot damn.

Then during play, when it's needed either I draw the map on the board (using chalk, of course) or the players do from my description.

* - a simple ballpoint pen works too, but it doesn't have the same staying power and eventually needs to be re-done.

I never used mini in BECMI, 1ed or 2ed. We started using them in 3.xed. I did have mini that I used to paint, but they were not for playing.

We used exclusively TotM for our games. I much prefer it that way, it less of an hassle and the game moves much faster as players do not pause and ponder how to move and what would be the optimal path on the grid.

With the covid and our play on Discord and Messenger, we went for TotM for our online games. The "professional" programs require too much prep time for me so I convinced my younger players to go for TotM and guess what? They like it because is is really faster this way. As long as I keep giving a few attacks of opportunity here and there, it will be fine.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Kinda, sorta. The grid and hex were there for examples, not as actual game rules. As is usual for 1e rules, the figures actually contradict the rules. Only 6 medium creatures can attack a single medium target, but, the grid they show allows for 8 attackers. Additionally, only 4 large creatures could attack a medium creature, which makes the whole flanking thing really wonky - is a large baddy in your front flank or rear flank, for example.
No, the diagrams don't contradict the rules. Get out your 1e DMG and look it up, for cryin' out loud.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Love Minis. I own probably over 1000 of them, many of the first were from 1980. Played AD&D from 81 to 2012 as my go-to game. Only ever used minis for marching order 99% of the time until we moved to 5e and then started using a grid.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I remember using minis, or something to stand in for them, back when I first started playing DnD. This was mainly due to the thunder rift series of adventures which had grid maps of the dungeon for playing on. Much of what we did outside of those was theatre of mind though, I never had enough cash to get into minis and now I don't have enough room to keep them even if I did start buying them.

Hussar

Legend
If your table grid is drawn in 2-inch squares, you can do it just fine using old-school metal minis that have smaller bases as three of them will (usually) fit across a 2-inch (meaning 10') hall.

The newfangled plastic minis with the big bases are a nuisance for this, however.
Except when you start getting into the "Space Required" rules in the PHB. Sure, 3 minis might fit in a 2 inch square, but, if they're using longswords, they can't. Depends on what weapon is being used.

Hussar

Legend
No, the diagrams don't contradict the rules. Get out your 1e DMG and look it up, for cryin' out loud.
I was looking directly at the DMG as I wrote that. In the section RIGHT ABOVE where the diagrams are, it tells you specifically that only 6 medium creatures can attack a single medium target. Yet, the diagram shows a single target being attacked by 8 creatures. And for some reason, you can rotate the grid as well. :erm: Never minding that there are no clarifications for 4 large targets attacking a medium. If I'm half in something's front and half in it's flank, does the target retain it's shield bonus? If I'm half in the rear and half on the flank, does it get it's Dex bonus?

If you're going to take me to task for reading the rules, at least have the decency to look up the rules first.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I was looking directly at the DMG as I wrote that. In the section RIGHT ABOVE where the diagrams are, it tells you specifically that only 6 medium creatures can attack a single medium target. Yet, the diagram shows a single target being attacked by 8 creatures. And for some reason, you can rotate the grid as well. :erm: Never minding that there are no clarifications for 4 large targets attacking a medium. If I'm half in something's front and half in it's flank, does the target retain it's shield bonus? If I'm half in the rear and half on the flank, does it get it's Dex bonus?

If you're going to take me to task for reading the rules, at least have the decency to look up the rules first.
I did. You’re looking at the diagrams on page 69, but not reading about them. They aren’t telling you how many figures can attack as much as helping you determine direction and how that relates to the target. Those spaces may be filled by creatures the same size, smaller, or larger. And when they do attack, the diagram will help you adjudicate what AC and modifiers to use. They’re not contradicting the text.

Hussar

Legend
No, they don't. Because the squares diagrams would allow 8 medium creatures to attack a single medium creature. Which is a direct contradiction of the text. If it was direction, then why bother with a grid at all? If the diagrams were delineating direction, then simple rays from the target would show that.

But, while the hex diagram is accurate, the grid is not.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases