Unearthed Arcana Giving Artificers The UA Warlock Spellcasting

ChameleonX

Explorer
How would my suggestion be OP? Half Casters would get the same overall number of spell slots as full casters, they would just all be 5th level or lower.

So, for example:

LevelSlots
33/1
43/2
53/2/1
64/3/1
74/3/1/1
84/3/2/1
94/3/2/1/1
104/3/3/1/1
114/3/3/2/1
124/4/3/2/1
135/4/3/2/1
145/5/3/2/1
155/5/4/2/1
165/5/4/2/2
175/5/4/3/2
185/5/4/4/2
195/5/5/4/2
205/5/5/4/3

I honestly think all "half-casters" should get higher level slots at the same levels as full casters, but just cap them at 5th-level.

I would also have them continue getting lower level slots, so while full caster progression is "tall and narrow," half-caster progression would be "short, but broad."
This would result in optimizing via multi-classing. i.e. it would then become very powerful to select a half-caster through level 9, to quickly get access to 5th level spells. And then leave that class behind for others.

Doesn't make it wrong, just changes the dynamics of multi-classing.

ChameleonX

Explorer
This would result in optimizing via multi-classing. i.e. it would then become very powerful to select a half-caster through level 9, to quickly get access to 5th level spells. And then leave that class behind for others.

Doesn't make it wrong, just changes the dynamics of multi-classing.
How would that be different from full casters, though? If you're just taking (let's say) a Ranger up to level 9, you would basically end up with the same spell slots as a level 9 Druid, except with a more restrictive spell list in exchange for some martial ability.

How would that be different from full casters, though? If you're just taking (let's say) a Ranger up to level 9, you would basically end up with the same spell slots as a level 9 Druid, except with a more restrictive spell list in exchange for some martial ability.
If you assume that in general half-casters and full-casters are balanced at a given level, that means that half-casters have other features or benefits that a full-caster does not have. So by doing this, your half-casters will have those other benefits, PLUS the benefits of a full-caster spell levels. Hence you affect class balance.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Add d10 HD, fighting style, extra attack by default. Ability to cast one catrip instead of one attack with Extra attack.
Cast 1st, 2nd or 3rd level spell as bonus action after you take extra attack action at levels 11,15,19.
To the Artificer!?

They’re not a warrior type class tho? Like unless you’re also gonna redo the subclasses that don’t rely on weapon attacks and make them do so, I don’t see the benefit.

Also that’s a ton of power that doesn’t push the mechanics closer toward its fiction.

Remove ads