Unearthed Arcana Giving Artificers The UA Warlock Spellcasting

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So we all know by now that the experiment with the warlock being a half caster+ didn’t work out. However, while I agree with the majority on that, I do think that the model of casting presented has strong value, just not for the Warlock.

Instead, I would give the Artificer 2-5 more infusions, and add a series of infusions that allow them to cast spells of a higher level than what is shown in thier Spellcasting table, eventually including level 6-9 spells.

I’d also change Spell Storing Item to store XYZ spell levels of spells, with graduated spell level limits, and bring that feature down to level 5.

So, instead of 10 uses of a 2nd level spell, it starts at like 5 spell levels worth of spells of 2nd level or lower (so two 2nd level and one 1st level spells, or five 1st level spells, etc), and end up holding up to 10-15 spell levels with a level limit of 5th level.

I’m fine with decreasing their normal spell slots to do this.

So any thoughts about these two ideas? Do you think both could be done together?

Vael

Legend
I think giving them a spell storing infusion that scales like Mystic Arcanum would do a great deal for the issues I have with them. Half-caster on the Artificer has felt overly limiting, but this could work.

doctorbadwolf

I think giving them a spell storing infusion that scales like Mystic Arcanum would do a great deal for the issues I have with them. Half-caster on the Artificer has felt overly limiting, but this could work.
I agree. Half caster just feels wrong.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Yup. That's a great idea.

Artificer have a hard time being relevant next to the other 1/2 spellcaster, an even worst compared to the full casters. They dont deal as much damage as the paladin or ranger, their buffing is probably slightly worst than the paladin's, and their own defenses arent that great either. In terms of party role, any other casting class can do what they do, but better. Even as jacks-of-all-trades you probably are better going with a rogue or a bard!

But, with this idea, I think the class could really shine.

Vael

Legend
Tbh, I want them to get a nonstandard progression that unifies spellcasting and infusions, but as I said, this is a solid compromise

doctorbadwolf

Tbh, I want them to get a nonstandard progression that unifies spellcasting and infusions, but as I said, this is a solid compromise
Hey I’d be all for their entire Spellcasting being part of a combined Infusions/Spell-Storing Items feature that broke Spellcasting into a certain number of spell levels worth of casting per day that you can put into items, with infusions that let you put higher level spells in, and some elegant relationship between magic items and spell power.

ChameleonX

Explorer
I honestly think all "half-casters" should get higher level slots at the same levels as full casters, but just cap them at 5th-level.

I would also have them continue getting lower level slots, so while full caster progression is "tall and narrow," half-caster progression would be "short, but broad."

doctorbadwolf

I honestly think all "half-casters" should get higher level slots at the same levels as full casters, but just cap them at 5th-level.

I would also have them continue getting lower level slots, so while full caster progression is "tall and narrow," half-caster progression would be "short, but broad."
I would support that for sure.

Remove ads