• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GM or DM or something else?

Who's the guy behind the screen who keeps making those darn trolls rend your flesh?

• DM

Votes: 83 70.9%
  • GM

Votes: 27 23.1%
  • Referee

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Judge

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Storyteller

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.6%

Kilmore said:
I really prefer Dungeon Master, simply because in midwestern speech (and I think in British too), we tend to run our words together like DungeonMaster or GameMaster. And if we talk at our usual brisk speed "GameMaster" loses one of the "Mm" sounds in the middle, and the resulting pronounciation sometimes results in heckling of the GM and much suffering for the characters.

GM always stood for Gamesmaster where I come from. Otherwise it would sound like "gay"master - not that there's anything wrong with that!;)

Thanee

First Post
Forgot to add, that when we play Tales of the Floating Vagabond, the gamemaster is of course referred to as the Bartender! :D

In Deadlands he/she is called Marshal! ;)

Bye
Thanee

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
DM for any version of D&D
Storyteller for White Wolf games.
GM for all others, or when one is speaking generically about any and all game systems.

GM

Game Master covers it all

Otherwise, my title would change according to setting and game

City Master
Evil HQ master (Champions)
Desert Master (oh yeah...DM)
Space Master (Champions)
Torg Master (Torg the game)

Game master is fine

Remove ads