• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GM or DM or something else?

Who's the guy behind the screen who keeps making those darn trolls rend your flesh?

• DM

Votes: 83 70.9%
  • GM

Votes: 27 23.1%
  • Referee

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Judge

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Storyteller

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.6%

seasong

First Post
Story teller has one huge problem for me: it means something already, and that something is not running a campaign. When I extemperaneously tell a fairy tale to someone's kids, I'm a story teller.

But that's WhiteWolf in a nutshell - pick a word out of thin air and pretend it means something else. I've never forgiven them for their misuse of caern, ever since I used it while describing a scenario, and one of the players asked me what a Place Of Spiritual Power was doing deep underground.

Bah!

It's a game - GM 100%.

There was a time not so long ago when I rather foolishly believed that DM had gone the way of the dodo. Then 3e comes along, defrosts EGG and DM is suddenly retro. :rolleyes: One day I'll be cool, but not today.

Outlaw

First Post
What's it called?

Wow, this is all a bit rough. With the explosion of games in the past few years, they've all adopted and held fast to their preference of what the man in charge should be called.

Hackmaster-GM
Kalamar-DM
Living campaign-Judge
Vampire-Storyteller
Basketball-Referee ;)

DM has always been my favorite because D&D is my favorite, although I play all those games and very few dungeons appear in my Kalamar games. But it's a matter of tradition. It's Dungeons and Dragons and I'm the dungeon master!

Of course, if I run a hackmaster campaign I thoroughly expect to be called the GM instead, as that is what is appropriate for the game.

Elf Witch

First Post
I usually call mine ratbastard:D

When I am talking about DnD I usually use DM but when I am talking about other games I say GM. I never say storyteller even when playing whitewolf it just sounds so elitist and phony.

Deadguy

First Post
I use the term appropriate to the game I am playing, so DMs in D&D, Storytellers in Mage, etc. But inside I am always thinking Referee (or rather Ref since it's nice and brief). Partly because that's the best description of the role of that person behind the screen, and partly because it's a fairly neutral term that most people will understand.

So I guess I am a Ref forever! :)

Kilmore

First Post
I really prefer Dungeon Master, simply because in midwestern speech (and I think in British too), we tend to run our words together like DungeonMaster or GameMaster. And if we talk at our usual brisk speed "GameMaster" loses one of the "Mm" sounds in the middle, and the resulting pronounciation sometimes results in heckling of the GM and much suffering for the characters.

Remove ads