GM or DM or something else?

Who's the guy behind the screen who keeps making those darn trolls rend your flesh?

• DM

Votes: 83 70.9%
  • GM

Votes: 27 23.1%
  • Referee

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Judge

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Storyteller

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.6%

Thanee

First Post
Voted for DM, as for D&D I call him/her like that, if I write something in english.

But actually, I'd call him "Spielleiter" or her "Spielleiterin" (which translates to Gamemaster, or GM), but that's mainly, because Dungeon Master sounds really stupid, if translated to german (and because we play some other games besides D&D and therefore it is more universal)! :D

Bye
Thanee

seasong

First Post
GM's the closest for me. But in my head, it's always "Guide".

Of course, DM more closely describes what D&D stands for: controlling lots of monsters packed into underground lairs for players to kill.

Shapermc

First Post
I started with a Storyteller in my life.

Then I had a GM.

Then I had a DM.

Now I have 1GM 1DM and I DM.

It all depends on the game, but DM got my vote, because it is the most used one :)

Zappo

Explorer
I see and hear most often used DM, and that's why I voted it. Personally, I prefer GM - trying to break from the hack'n'slash connotation - but it just doesn't catch. So I just try to get called "Master" instead. Plus, it fits my megalomania just fine. :D

I really dislike "Storyteller". I can't really rationalize it, but I just associate it with a certain kind of elitism. Besides, as Flexor noted, "storytelling" isn't a good definition of what the GM does, no more than "DM" is.

Remove ads