What is the GM's Most Important Job?

Reynard

Legend
I meant to post this yesterday for GM's Day but I got distracted. Anyway:

The GM wears many hats in a TTRPG, some of which are broadly applicable and others are specific to the game or system in question. I am curious what folks think is the most important thing the GM does, the job or responsibility that underpins the rest of the things they have to do.

For me, it is pacing. This is especially true with convention games and other defined experiences, but I think it is still true for most regular play. If pacing is ignored or, worse, done poorly, the whole game suffers and the experience for everyone at the table is unsatisfying. I suppose this is less true in games built ina way where other participants have a strong hand in the flow of the game and pacing, but I think for most traditional RPGs it is largely the responsibility of the GM.

Knowing the rules is a relatively distant second. I have run games I don't know particularly well, either in order to learn them or with the help of a player who knows the game well. As long as you can keep not knowing the rules perfectly from disrupting pacing, everything is likely to still turn out alright.

What do you think? In your opinion, what is the most important job or responsibility of the GM?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
An easy way to accept bribes.

Used to be cash was king. Now, you have to deal with Venmo, Apple Pay, Zelle, and so on. Personally, I recommend setting up your own Square system at this point.

Baby's new shoes aren't going to pay for themselves, and pizza is for chumps.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
1709650525270.jpeg

Being a Fan of the Player Characters. It means a lot. You aren't antagonistic, you are collaborative leaving room for the players to tell their stories - giving them a chance to signal what they are excited about. You are genuinely interested in following them like you do for your favorite TV show's characters. You are excited to see where they will go next. And more exciting, you get the opportunity to ask provocative questions and help shape the events.

But the biggest one for me is that you both want to see them at their strengths and have time in the spotlight shining because they are awesome. Yet you also want to see them challenged and overcome (or even being overwhelmed) problems. You reincorporate from decisions that they made - they screwed over an NPC, they will be seeing that come back to get them.

Follow that principle I see in just about every PbtA I've read and you are on a good track to create dramatic, interesting, enjoyable fiction.

Reynard

Legend
Being a Fan of the Player Characters. It means a lot. You aren't antagonistic, you are collaborative leaving room for the players to tell their stories - giving them a chance to signal what they are excited about. You are genuinely interested in following them like you do for your favorite TV show's characters. You are excited to see where they will go next. And more exciting, you get the opportunity to ask provocative questions and help shape the events.

But the biggest one for me is that you both want to see them at their strengths and have time in the spotlight shining because they are awesome. Yet you also want to see them challenged and overcome (or even being overwhelmed) problems. You reincorporate from decisions that they made - they screwed over an NPC, they will be seeing that come back to get them.

Follow that principle I see in just about every PbtA I've read and you are on a good track to create dramatic, interesting, enjoyable fiction.
I agree with the second part more than the first. I don't need to "follow them like my favorite TV show." in fact, i kind of think that attitude might undermine the "let the dice fall where they may" ethos I think is super important. But I do think that giving them time to shine in the face of challenges is super important.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I agree with the second part more than the first. I don't need to "follow them like my favorite TV show." in fact, i kind of think that attitude might undermine the "let the dice fall where they may" ethos I think is super important. But I do think that giving them time to shine in the face of challenges is super important.

I think that, joking aside, the problem with the question posed in the post is that different games (or even the same game run in different styles) require different techniques, approaches, and focuses when it comes to the role of DM/GM/referee/storyteller/lead participant.

For example, in the comment you just replied to, there are some games where being a fan of the players is a core requirement, and other games where that would be anathema.

As such, I would say that the most important job of a "GM" who runs multiple types of games for multiple types of players is simple- flexibility. What works for one game and one table will not work for others. Adjust your style and your priorities as needed, and you'll be better for it.

Trying to run all games for all players the same way is a recipe for disaster.

Reynard

Legend
I think that, joking aside, the problem with the question posed in the post is that different games (or even the same game run in different styles) require different techniques, approaches, and focuses when it comes to the role of DM/GM/referee/storyteller/lead participant.

For example, in the comment you just replied to, there are some games where being a fan of the players is a core requirement, and other games where that would be anathema.

As such, I would say that the most important job of a "GM" who runs multiple types of games for multiple types of players is simple- flexibility. What works for one game and one table will not work for others. Adjust your style and your priorities as needed, and you'll be better for it.

What about games with bards?

Yep. Being able to adapt your style to the table you're actually at instead of some kind of Platonic ideal of a perfect game session might actually be the most important thing you do as a GM.

Pretty important for the individual players too. Have to read the room and reach some measure of agreement on group expectations or someone's going to wind up miserable.

Remove ads