GM-player Communication vs. Metagaming

Communication vs. Metagaming

• GM-player communication is sometimes good, so that we can avoid in-game silliness

Votes: 24 36.9%
  • Mistakes are a part of the game. TPKs sometimes happen.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • Something in between.

Votes: 29 44.6%

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Again, I'll go over the specifics of something as much or as little as the players want. I have maps and diagrams and pictures and miniatures to illustrate the scene, and I'll whip up a sketch if something still isn't clear.

It's a description of a room, not rocket surgery.

But what will you do if a player sets out to do something that indicates a potential disconnect between your understanding of the situation and his? Do you let him go off and do it because the misunderstanding was on his part or because you think he has a correct understanding but just wants to do it anyway? Or do you ask him if he's sure or remind him of the environment?

After all, the players may want for understanding but not realize it yet...

Janx

Hero
But what will you do if a player sets out to do something that indicates a potential disconnect between your understanding of the situation and his? Do you let him go off and do it because the misunderstanding was on his part or because you think he has a correct understanding but just wants to do it anyway? Or do you ask him if he's sure or remind him of the environment?

After all, the players may want for understanding but not realize it yet...

And thats my point. It was obvious to me that we were high up and far enough away to assume we could not make a jump.

My friend, however, had a completely different picture of things in his head. He said "I run and jump over to the other platform!"

Shaman quibbles over semantics, but the point is the player announced an action. Do you assume he meant to do exactly what he said and roll dice to his death? Do you ask clarifying questions? Do you go over the distances with him and confirm his intent?
(remember, the GM did not explicitly give any distances, I merely inferred the numbers were big.)

Loonook

First Post
And thats my point. It was obvious to me that we were high up and far enough away to assume we could not make a jump.

My friend, however, had a completely different picture of things in his head. He said "I run and jump over to the other platform!"

Shaman quibbles over semantics, but the point is the player announced an action. Do you assume he meant to do exactly what he said and roll dice to his death? Do you ask clarifying questions? Do you go over the distances with him and confirm his intent?
(remember, the GM did not explicitly give any distances, I merely inferred the numbers were big.)

This honestly would be the only type of situation where (in a live game) I would confirm with a pkayer his actions beyond an "are you sure?". I think we are all approaching this from different standpoints and perhaps need a moment of clarity.

Slainte,

-Loonook.

The Shaman

First Post
Just out of curiosity, where are the other players in this scenario? Why aren't they looking out for each other?

The Shaman

First Post
How would you answer the question in a solo game?
If I've explained the situation, set the minis out, drawn a map and a sketch, answered any and all questions, and the player still doesn't get it? Then it doesn't matter, 'cause I quit.

Seriously, there's nothing about this hypothetical that strikes me in the least bit plausible.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
If I've explained the situation, set the minis out, drawn a map and a sketch, answered any and all questions, and the player still doesn't get it? Then it doesn't matter, 'cause I quit.

Seriously, there's nothing about this hypothetical that strikes me in the least bit plausible.

Well, then let's walk through this back from the beginning. You present a situation to the player(s). Nobody acts like they don't understand the situation, presumably we assume that's pretty common.

One of the players declares an action that indicates a fundamental misunderstanding of the situation. He hasn't actually asked about it. Presumably, at this point he doesn't realize his mental model of the situation doesn't match yours. Do you let him know? Do you point out any clarifying detail without being asked?

Janx

Hero
Just out of curiosity, where are the other players in this scenario? Why aren't they looking out for each other?

That's actually a good question.

When I said "Wait! Don't do that!" my friend got huffy and said "don't try to control my character!"

I can only assume my friend was trying some chandelier swinging, thinking that's the kind of game style we were about to embark on and that he thought I was trying to drive his tactical decisions instead. I'm sure he wasn't trying to get himself killed, but he was trying to be impulsive.

The point then, some players don't want to be helped.

But that doesn't mean they actually want to jump to their death because they misunderstood the situation.

My friend assumed he had all the details (no map, just a brief description of the ewok village), and wanted to rush into action. Even the GM had a prickly time getting him to realize the distances involved and the Jump rules were not compatible with human life.

There are many ways to GM the situation.

Letting foolish actions take effect is one way. Will the foolish player actually learn from it? Some studies say no. All your doing is making the game silly for the other players as they have to let the next idiot PC join the party to replace the last idiot because your FRIEND is part of the group.

Having the GM intercede with an "Are you sure?" or verification of the facts and request seems like a simple safety valve to protect PCs from their idiot handlers.

Loonook

First Post
That's actually a good question.

When I said "Wait! Don't do that!" my friend got huffy and said "don't try to control my character!"

I can only assume my friend was trying some chandelier swinging, thinking that's the kind of game style we were about to embark on and that he thought I was trying to drive his tactical decisions instead. I'm sure he wasn't trying to get himself killed, but he was trying to be impulsive.

The point then, some players don't want to be helped.

But that doesn't mean they actually want to jump to their death because they misunderstood the situation.

My friend assumed he had all the details (no map, just a brief description of the ewok village), and wanted to rush into action. Even the GM had a prickly time getting him to realize the distances involved and the Jump rules were not compatible with human life.

There are many ways to GM the situation.

Letting foolish actions take effect is one way. Will the foolish player actually learn from it? Some studies say no. All your doing is making the game silly for the other players as they have to let the next idiot PC join the party to replace the last idiot because your FRIEND is part of the group.

Having the GM intercede with an "Are you sure?" or verification of the facts and request seems like a simple safety valve to protect PCs from their idiot handlers.

I love the idea of the Idiot Handlers... And have an idea of the new ASPCA ads showing adventurers in some sort of PC Pound covered in burns from jumping in the dragon's mouth, saying that just for the price of a large diamond you could help bring back these poor abused people... :).

I used to be far MORE vindictive, and we did a lot of 'jumping in' of PCs and their "idiot handlers' in our games in High School and College. Some learn after the first two or three well-honed PCs to either move along or jump in... Some take five, some take seventeen...

But we always kept a pretty awesome group around because of it. As I said death does build character (undeath even more so).

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Remove ads