GM1: Bizarre Bazaar

Kenku17

First Post
"Probably the same way as the outside world" William says and then begins to walk in the direction the elf pointed.

(Agree on Heckler's plan)

Kenku17

First Post
"Yes, they have no sun, but this is a place of commerce. They probably have some sort of clockwork or magical contraption to keep track of time, and even if they originally had a unique timescale, I would think for trading they would need to on the same time scales as everyone else"

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=recruitment]Okay, I'll try to work the cleric in soon. Won't be long, I think.[/sblock]

Whatever time the denizens of this place consider it to be, the central square is quietly busy. There are perhaps thirty humanoids wandering between the buildings and tents with quiet purpose. Dwarves seem to be the most commonly represented race, but there are also elves both fair and dark skinned, a handful of short, gray-skinned creatures that Phelan excitedly identifies as Derro, and even a pair of grimlocks snuffling their way carefully down the street.

There are a number of permanent buildings here, including two which by the colorful signs hanging over their entrances are obviously the Thorn and Castle and the Golden Wind, but by far the most prominent is a walled compound behind which can be seen a tall house of gracefully understated elegance. Amazingly, there are several slender trees growing in the area between the wall and the house. There is a wrought iron gate leading into the compound, beside which is posted several large framed notices. By their formatting, they appear to contain the same text in several languages. The one in Common reads as follows.

Goods for auction
One silvered longsword, crafted by Hanssen Kjuldsmoll as a dowry for his daughter Ludkjeta, the Diamond of Yurgind.

Three books in draconic script bound in leather of unknown origin. Believed to be in the hand of Arthanastras the Gray.

One set of Horseshoes of the Zephyr, of prodigious size.

One obsidian ioun stone, in two pieces, of unknown function.

Seven matched crystal halberds embossed with the arms of the Emperor of Carduth

The services of three succubi, compacted for seven months by the wizard Harsuthrax

The Urn of Aldamarra

At the bottom of the page is a smaller note saying, "Viewing by appointment only"

Kenku17

First Post
William looks over the list, thinking to himself a little That sword sounds intreging. I will have to see about entering for it myself. he then reads the bottom note and says to Octavio "Im guessing were going to need to get an appointment to see the Urn at some point beforehand" he says

Heckler

First Post
Octavio looks over the list, thinking to himself a little The succubi sound intriguing. I will have to see about entering for them myself. he then reads the bottom note and says to William, "I guess we make appointments here. Let's see, shall we?," as he heads for the gate.

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=Weel]
"No! Volidar gasps, sounding horrified. "I lost him! I couldn't hold on..."

It takes you a moment to realize what he's talking about, distracted as you are by your surroundings. You are underground, in a small cavern illuminated only by a bank of phosphorescent crystals high overhead. You and Volidar are standing on a flat stone, roughly circular, some two feet above the packed earth of the cave's floor. You and Volidar... and no one else. Karm is not there.

"He could be anywhere! From the tower of fire to an island in the middle of the ocean, or miles underground with no easy road to sunlight... " Volidar takes several deep breaths, composing himself. "But there is nothing we can do for him now, save only pray that Verdante guide his steps better than I have done. He seemed a hardy soul. Perhaps there is some greater plan for him... And we yet have work to do. Come, I will show you the way onward, but I must depart immediately to see if I can find any news of your friend."

Volidar summons a pearly ball of light onto the top of his instrument case where it protrudes from his shoulder. He leads you to the single exit from the cavern, a narrow, natural tunnel that soon widens and smooths into something obviously made by intelligent creatures, and intersecting shortly thereafter into a wider tunnel, also artificial, with a gentle slope. He points in the uphill direction, where you can see a light in the distance.

"That way lies Umraecyl's bazaar, where the adventurers are destined. I do not know what their purpose is there, nor indeed whether they have yet arrived or are still en route. I do know their names, which are these: Octavio, Tankard, William, Jinx, and Phelan."

After wishing you well, Volidar turns and moves quickly downhill into the darkness.

ooc: Feel free to ask Volidar questions; I don't mean to rush you, just wanted to get the general shape of events down.
[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Weel Naxel, human cleric

[sblock=Weel]At first, Weel can't seem to find any words. He never in his wildest nightmares imagined he'd lose an adventuring companion before he'd even begun adventuring.

Mute with the shock of it, he follow Volidar without speaking, listening in a semi-daze.

"That way lies Umraecyl's bazaar, where the adventurers are destined. I do not know what their purpose is there, nor indeed whether they have yet arrived or are still en route. I do know their names, which are these: Octavio, Tankard, William, Jinx, and Phelan."

After wishing you well, Volidar turns and moves quickly downhill into the darkness.

"Wait!" Weel calls out, finally finding his voice. "I ... well, how will I know these people, or them me? Is there an arranged meeting place?" Perhaps it's the remnants of his shock at the misfired transportation magics, but the young cleric looks a bit like a child who's just realized he lost his mother in the busy marketplace.

OOCShould I go back and read the IC thread for this adventure, or is it best to catch up IC as Weel? I don't want to hold things up any more than they have been by the loss of characters, but I similarly didn't want to invest Weel with a lot of information he 'shouldn't' know IC.[/sblock]

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=Weel]
"Wait!" Weel calls out, finally finding his voice. "I ... well, how will I know these people, or them me? Is there an arranged meeting place?"

Volidar turns suddenly. "My correspondent did not know where they would go. You might try the inns, or perhaps ask Umraecyl himself. He's been quite helpful to me in the past. I do not think you will have trouble finding them. Getting them to trust you, however.... My correspondent, whose name I cannot reveal, did say that he was asking for help on behalf of a dwarf named Thargon. Perhaps that name will earn you a chance to explain yourself."

ooc: Read the thread or not as you see fit. I don't think there are any secrets to speak of in this adventure.
[/sblock]

William, Octavio, Jinx and Phelan make their way to the gate. Presently a neatly groomed hobgoblin appears, wearing a freshly pressed doublet with brushed velvet hose. "How can I help you gentlefolk?" he asks politely.

Remove ads