GMing: What Keeps Long Running Campaigns Exciting?

You have a new campaign to start. You need a starting location, NPCs, and an adventure. Months later, you need to make an adventure for a 14th level party who need strong NPCs and monsters to face. Which of the two are you more excited to create?

gming.jpg

picture courtesy of Pixabay

If you chose the latter then kudos to you. For most GMs though, campaigns don’t last into the highest levels of D&D and even for other systems there is the constant threat of GM burnout. So what do we as a GM do about it? And why do so many of use enjoy that new RPG smell and first few adventures so much more than the later adventures?

Let’s flip this on its head for a moment. Why do you like a long running TV series? Why are so many of us bummed with only one season of Firefly? What makes a long running novel, TV, or movie series so compelling?

For Firefly, I wanted to learn more about the men with hands of blue. I wanted to find out the secrets of the protagonists. I wanted more conflict and action and actually making smart decisions instead of stupid ones. I wanted more worlds building. More on the Reavers. More ships. More, more, more. Based on that, I would think as GMs we would like that as well in long running campaigns. However, how much do RPGs typically change over time?

For 1st level D&D the PCs fight monsters and gain magic items. What happens at 15th level? In later editions, the PCs fight monsters and gain magic items. Yes, some GMs take things in a different direction, but the underlying rules still provide XP for monster slaying and magic items and levels as rewards. But looking at what those innovative GMs do is a good start. I think GMs get bored. If I handed out a +1 sword for killing orcs how excited am I to hand a +3 sword for killing giants? The players get new abilities and take over more and more of the world. While the GM sees his creations cut down and looted.

There is some hyperbole there of course. But really, how accurate is that idea? I think pretty close to reality.

In a perfect world, the GM would gain lots of satisfaction from seeing the PCs grow and prosper. Would enjoy seeing her own world and campaign take on a life of its own. The reality is, though, that the players usually don’t care about your world building. And the rules only provide a GM with so many tools to challenge PCs. So a dichotomy develops.

The players consume, grow in power, and have more power to consume more. Meanwhile, the GM’s bag of tricks becomes more and more depleted as she scrambles to continue to challenge the ever growing might of the PCs. No harm is meant by either side, but I do think this is what happens to many campaigns and to the GMs who love to run them.

As a GM, I enjoy seeing my friends encounter novel experiences and figure out what to do about them. I think that this challenge happens more often at the start of a campaign then midway through or at the end unless I am very diligent. And I have to work harder to make it happen the longer a campaign runs simply because the PCs are more powerful with more tools available to overcome my campaign’s challenges.

New Novel Challenges

Some GMs introduce new concepts and new challenges to combat ennui. Traveling the planes, stronghold and kingdom building along with wars, underwater adventures, space travel, and plumbing the depths of the Underdark are all great campaign expanding concepts. GMs will have a bit of work, of course, to introduce and implement these ideas.

Deep Interesting Secrets

Other GMs seed deep secrets in the campaign that MATTER to the players. The crux of the problem is first getting the players to care more about something other than XP and loot. But what? And how to get them there?

Nefarious Interfering Villains

Then the GM uses that caring about something as the precious thing the PCs must keep the villains from trampling on, spoiling, and preventing from ever flowering to fruition. If the men with hands of blue constantly stop the PCs from doing what they want in the world then they are going to want to know all about them now. I discussed this idea in my NPC article.

These topics warrant further consideration and deeper analysis. Also the question should be considered: is a long-term campaign even something that a GM should strive towards? I will return to these ideas as I strive to overcome this mystery of why and how to keep a campaign running a long time. A good place to start is with varying the types of challenges experienced PCs face, seeding deep interesting secrets for PCs to uncover, and creating NPCs that drive conflict. I would enjoy hearing about any long running campaigns you have run, how they went, and what you did as a GM to keep going.

Charles Dunwoody

Charles Dunwoody

nevin

Hero
the way I handle it to is as players do things I make notes of the consequences and try to keep track of how the world reacts to the PCs actions. Done right by the time they get to 14 they should be scrambling to fix all the unintended consequences of all the things they've done and all the enemies they've made

the way I handle it to is as players do things I make notes of the consequences and try to keep track of how the world reacts to the PCs actions. Done right by the time they get to 14 they should be scrambling to fix all the unintended consequences of all the things they've done and all the enemies they've made

Great way to do it. Helps prevent GM burnout as the PCs are creating adventures as they go and the players stay engaged because so much is going on.

werecorpse

Adventurer
Imo A long running campaign is often desirable if you have a consistent group of players and a reasonably consistent GM. It enables them to keep playing characters they enjoy and to try and solve mysteries of the world. I have a consistent group of players who I’ve played with for about 10 years (some of the group I played with 40 years ago). We played a few paizo adventure paths and finished them in about 18 months each. The problem is the characters essentially investigate 1 mystery(Rise of the Runelords, Crimson Throne etc) ; then get to be very powerful when they solve it so you have to retire that character. It feels like there is no depth to their experiences. Conan was a Barbarian, a pirate, a wanderer a freebooter a conquerer etc. So about 5 years ago we decided to slow things down, homebrew it (using a mash up of a few adventure paths as fodder). I award xp at 1/10 the set rate, the characters are now 8th level, they have explored multiple dungeons, been mind flayer thralls, upset an attempt by a rival nation to secretly take over their main cities mayor, accidentally freed a lich from a prison, fought in the army against Orcus worshipping orcs and many other things - they haven’t figured out exactly how the yuan-ti expect to resurrect their dead god, what the Orcus worshipping Orcs stole from the city mausoleum during the war and while they know the Underdark is in the middle of a decades long war that has displaced the drow they haven’t poked their noses into it too much. At the moment they are short on cash so are following a map to an ancient ruined city hoping to get some coin.

Sorry for the wall of text - in short it‘s about exploring new stuff but with familiar characters.

I try to mix a healthy dose of world-building into my adventures. Somehow I try to follow the advice from the old Dungeoncraft articles: associate secrets and mystery with the adventures. So, besides treasure I usually bury a lot of information about the history and state of the world into an adventure. Also, I keep looking at the NPCs the group likes to interact with, and the villains they let get away.

More recently I've learned to embrace the more gonzo ideas of D&D like plane travel and other prime material planes. I can use that to gradually raise the stakes in my campaign. My last successful campaign had in retrospect a tier structure. First Tier was about defeating my all-time favorite monsters: gnolls who were led by an undead dwarven queen. Second Tier was about stopping an everlasting winter. Third Tier involved defeating a plot of the nagpa and basically saving their campaign world and the Raven Queen. At that time we decided to end the campaign since I didn't have a Tier 4 story arc. The campaign was an astounding success. I got them to care about their campaign world. It was a homebrew, but when a nagpa pointed out that this world didn't matter, since there were so many other worlds like the Forgotten Realms, Eberron, etc and that the end of their world didn't have to be the end of the PCs, the PCs countered: "But this is our world!". I was immensely pleased to hear that. I purposefully name-dropped official campaign settings that I know the players like.

Jeff Carpenter

Adventurer
How many sessions do you need to be consider "long running" ? 50? 100?

In the last ten years I've ran four campaign of over 50+ session. All homebrew campaigns. Its a lot of work to build that much content. I have to steal a lot from myself. Luckily i moved so two campaigns were with one group and two with another.

My current campaign is at 86 and seems healthy but the longer it goes the harder it is. More because low level play is easier to write for.

Ringtail

World Traveller
When you create your own world, you run the risk of your players not caring. When you run in a campaign setting, you run the risk of the players knowing everything. For example, if we play in the Forgotten Realms and bump into the Zhentarim, I already know all about them, there isn't much mystery. If I wanted to know more I could look it up, there's plenty written about them. You might argue "well the DM can change their world to be unique", which I would agree with, but in my experience those changes are often small. Rewriting the entire Zhentarim (as an example) to be completely fresh is so much work, it kind of defeats the purpose of using an existing setting.

Of course I have had players who DID care about my world or who DIDN't Know about the Zhentarim. It obviously varies from player to player.

I look forward most to character development. Situations that challenge my characters beliefs. Also I look forward to the backstory rearing its ugly head in a climatic way. If there was some unfinished business or ripe plot hooks in the character's backstory I would probably save those for later in the campaign as a great way to suck in a player. After all that's what players care about most, their characters.

oriaxx77

Explorer
Imo A long running campaign is often desirable if you have a consistent group of players and a reasonably consistent GM. It enables them to keep playing characters they enjoy and to try and solve mysteries of the world. I have a consistent group of players who I’ve played with for about 10 years (some of the group I played with 40 years ago). We played a few paizo adventure paths and finished them in about 18 months each. The problem is the characters essentially investigate 1 mystery(Rise of the Runelords, Crimson Throne etc) ; then get to be very powerful when they solve it so you have to retire that character. It feels like there is no depth to their experiences. Conan was a Barbarian, a pirate, a wanderer a freebooter a conquerer etc. So about 5 years ago we decided to slow things down, homebrew it (using a mash up of a few adventure paths as fodder). I award xp at 1/10 the set rate, the characters are now 8th level, they have explored multiple dungeons, been mind flayer thralls, upset an attempt by a rival nation to secretly take over their main cities mayor, accidentally freed a lich from a prison, fought in the army against Orcus worshipping orcs and many other things - they haven’t figured out exactly how the yuan-ti expect to resurrect their dead god, what the Orcus worshipping Orcs stole from the city mausoleum during the war and while they know the Underdark is in the middle of a decades long war that has displaced the drow they haven’t poked their noses into it too much. At the moment they are short on cash so are following a map to an ancient ruined city hoping to get some coin.

Sorry for the wall of text - in short it‘s about exploring new stuff but with familiar characters.
We did the same. After 4 years the party reached lvl 14. ToA was just 2 levels. Everyone loved the pace.

Retreater

Legend
Sometimes one great season is all you get, and you end up with Serenity, which most consider a letdown.
IMO, the modern rules (2000 onward) don't do a great job with high level play, because play doesn't really change. Dungeons get stranger and challenge the party with new traps and hazards, and monsters gain new abilities, but it's still just a dungeon with monsters. Reading the Champion, Master, and Immortals rules recently (for the first time) has been enlightening about how the scope of the game can change.
So long as a DM is running the game the same way they did at low levels, they might as well stay in that wheelhouse. Continue the campaign with different characters to explore new mysteries.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases