• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gnomes and 4E

Nahat Anoj

First Post
Just something I've noticed with some of the low level published adventures is having a number of gnomes (still unaligned apparently) as bad guys in the adventures. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? I haven't seen this many gnomes as bad guys since the last time I played NetHack. ;)
It seems to me that they're playing up the sly, stealthy, manipulative aspects of gnomes in 4e, so that may be why. :) And also, all gnomes are irredeemably evil. ;)

Speaking of which, does anyone know if I'll finally be able to play a gnome illusionist after PHB II? (and no, I don't think the Dragon articles adding illusion spells to the wizard is quite enough; one of the things I liked about 4E was illusionist was a different class).
You know, I'm not sure if we'll get a full-blown illusionist class, not when what they do can be pretty much replicated by wizards with more illusion spells (I think the Dragon articles only scratches the surface - I belt there will be more illusion powers and lots of illusion rituals some day).

When PHB 2 comes out, cunning bards multiclassed into both wizard and fey pact warlock may scratch the itch. I bet some more illusionist options will be presented in Arcane Power as well. Perhaps a paragon path, even.

I think that Eberron and their Machiavellian Gnomes, coupled with the gnome's new sneaky invisible bastard image, is helping. I certainly am contemplating gnomes being the stealth enforcers of the Feywild.
In my campaign, there will be a kingdom of wealthy, secretive, and manipulative mastermind gnomes named Zurik. That's right, my campaign will have the gnomes of Zurik. ;)

Shroomy

Adventurer
I think you're seeing a lot of gnome baddies because there aren't that many low level creatures in the MM suitable for such adventures.

malraux

First Post
I think you're seeing a lot of gnome baddies because there aren't that many low level creatures in the MM suitable for such adventures.

I suspect that's a part of it. Plus suddenly in 4e the default setting plays up the mysterious (and not in a friendly/intriguing) aspect of fey creatures. So now, to be different from the past, everyone is adding in malign fey.

op1983

First Post
Im looking forward to the next time I can play a game without DMing. I fully intend to make a gnome artificer modelled around green arrow with all sorts of gadgets and trick arrows. Sometimes he doesn't grab the arrows he intends...."Sorry I thought that was the armor hardening arrow how could I know it would explode!"

Jack99

Adventurer
Just something I've noticed with some of the low level published adventures is having a number of gnomes (still unaligned apparently) as bad guys in the adventures. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? I haven't seen this many gnomes as bad guys since the last time I played NetHack. ;)

Speaking of which, does anyone know if I'll finally be able to play a gnome illusionist after PHB II? (and no, I don't think the Dragon articles adding illusion spells to the wizard is quite enough; one of the things I liked about 4E was illusionist was a different class).

Buy APG, use Mouse's earth gnome and spellbinder in there and voila!

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Heh. The gnomish racial description for my own setting begins with the following:

"Trust not the gnome. Do not listen to his witty banter. What he lacks in stature he more than makes up in malice for humankind. Do not take his money, for then he will cast you into debt and force you to sell your own children into slavery…"

mkb152

Explorer
3E gnome illusionist/bard/gnome paragon, right here. (Seriously!)

My primary character for all editions to this point has been a gnome illusionist. I don't know how it ended up that way, but it's almost become an inside joke with my groups. My first 1E character (a plane-hopping CN gnome illusionist 18) tends to make a cameo as an NPC in most of my DM'd campaigns (though not very often).

I think a character class based on confusing / immobilizing / etc. large numbers of the enemy would be a good addition and not be broken given the new save rules. And plus, dang it, I want to play a gnome illusionist! :]

And I love the gnomes as evil idea that some of you are using. I might use it in my next campaign just to (completely) throw everyone off. :devil:

Dragonbait

Explorer
I, too, have noticed a huge amount of gnome enemies. They are even teaming up with critters that I never associated with them before, too (goblinoids, dark creepers, unintelligent and vicious monsters, etc).

Seconded.. Or thirded... They seem to fill the niche between kobolds and goblins now.

Hm. Gnomes are the new xvarts! B-)

Remove ads