• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gnomes! (HUH) What are they good for? Absolutely nothing!

Ryujin

Legend
Well, that's the way they should be looked at. D&D isn't a min/max game. It's a story telling game, as are basically all RPGs, of every type, from Table-top games to Video games. So, why fill out a sheet of paper that basically will be nothing more then a sword, or a spell? I mean, that seems a bit of a waste to me. There's a reason those pieces of paper we all hold dear are called "character sheets" after all.

Which is another reason I love Gnomes. The possibilities when it comes to good/great characters that can be made from them. Well, all races can be made into great characters, be they simple and easy to understand, or complex with many layers (like shrek!). I just find that Gnomes, for me at least, bring out the best possible characters. From the simple and loveable, to the dark, and misunderstood. They could be Bat-man, or Joker... or even Mr. Myxlplyx. (man, that's a hard name to say.) It's just a damn shame that people will shoe-horn a race into a particular role, without giving them the proper attention they desire and require. (Best to stop here, otherwise I'll run through my rant on Orcs, and how I feel they are often misrepresented in most fantasy games, and stories, but you can blame "The Elder Scrolls" for that one, and how awesome they are in Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. Before that, they were just enemies to kill...)

Unfortunately too many people seem to still try and 'win' role playing games, so min/maxing is alive and well. Whatever my character, I have a back story to justify the build. Most of the other players in my group just seem to think about their characters as a collection of things that kill stuff up real good. I've never played a Gnome, but only because I haven't yet thought up a good back story.

As to the Orcs thing, I think that the folks over at Zombie Orpheus Entertainment are doing a good job of changing the paradigm too. One of the major characters, and love interest of the bard girl who is chronicling the heroes' story, in JourneyQuest, is an intelligent and driven Orc sergeant who is contrasted against an idiotic knight who thinks, if the word think can be applied, in very narrow terms. I'm thinking of the, "Die evil races!" scene here. Matt Vancil has also written an English to Orcish dictionary. Mine is on the way :D

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
This is actually the first write-up of gnomes I've ever seen that made them sound interesting to me. An entire society based on illusions! I like it. :cool:

Whizbang generally does a damn good job of being the standard bearer for meaningful gnomish cultures around here. He can be depended upon for raising it high.

...well, at least 4' up or so.

Dwimmerlied

First Post
Gnomes are the tricksters, using illusion and enchantment to hide themselves, conceal their homes and mislead enemies. Many people who run afoul of gnomes never even know that they have done so; they "end up" stumbling upon a group of monsters or something that leads them away.

Perfect. I particularly like mysterious and elusive for my gnomes; maybe somewhat feytouched in the way elves can be. Where enchantment and high magic defines the spirit of elves, illusion defines the soul of the gnome. Dwarves are warlike and grim. Elves are high and terrible. Halflings are omnipresent happy-go-lucky itinerants with their fingers in all the pies. Gnomes are humble, gentle and forgotten.

Dwimmerlied

First Post
Are ALL gnomes trickster bards and mad scientists?

Nope! But not all dwarves are axe-wielding warriors. There's just enough of them to give some sort of definition.!

I feel like I could envision what a dwarven town or a halfling village would look like. But a group of gnomes living together? No idea. I have no sense of them as a society.

When I pick up a setting book and turn to the short sidebar on gnomes, I never see anything about their everyday lives or their history. Do gnomes revere an ancient hero gnome? Did the gnome army march out to join the great war? How many lands does the gnomish emperor rule?

When was the last time a party stumbled upon an ancient ruin only to discover it must have been constructed by gnomes? I'll bet it doesn't happen often!

Gnomes live in shallow burrow communities under hills in isolated woodland or forested areas. They tend to have a racial genius for mineralogy (particularly precious gemstones), and mining, and so this industry is often central to their economy, which also frequently bring them into conflict with kobolds. This ages long conflict has bred an animosity rarely directed toward any other living creature. Their talents for mining and acquisition of precious stones could conceivably ground them in the outside world as part of sought-after trade agreements, but it is also likely that the shy race keeps their secret techniques and wealth hidden from the greed and ambitions of the outside world.

They rarely maintain any sort of military, though rangers and scouts are looked towards for matters of defence, mustering and leading skirmish bands against their enemies. These units are adaptable for woodland skirmish or tunnel strikes and are arguably the best of the common races at melting back away into their terrain after a strike. Where elves show their ruthlessness when dealing with enemies, gnomes almost always opt to steer their enemies away.

Leadership is frequently by council of elders or by some revered and ancient wiseman/woman. Druids often take these roles, which works for them because gnomes don't need iron-fisted dictation but prefer to have their community matters guided by deep wisdom. Other druids of the community fulfil the spiritual needs of the communities, often maintaining sacred green glades in the woods nearby, or holy grottoes adorned with mineral rich pools and strange crystal structures or half-formed gemstone obelisks carved with mystic runes below gnome burrow villages.

Illusion is as much a part of gnome life as enchantment is for elves. Many gnomes have a deep fascination with illusion magic, and often further, with the profound contemplation of deception in general. Perhaps this has given them their fey character, or perhaps their fey character has informed the interest in deception. Who knows?

As for dungeon culture I've actually done this before, and it was the most fun dungeon I've ever myself crafted; Although no one remembers the old gnome name for my ruins, those who mention it these days refer to it as Grendelmyr. Once set by an idyllic floodplain wood, it has since become a ruin rotting away in a fetid marsh. The rooms of my dungeon were circular, and I ignored the concept that a gnome would only ever build a cramped environment. Above the hill sat the remains of a mummified treant haunted by will-o-wisps, once revered by the gnome residents now some blighted weed whose roots penetrated throughout the dungeon, grasping and ripping at any it could reach. Some doors were completely blocked off by root masses which had to be fought through for access.

Nothing says gnome like illusion, and it wasn't a stretch to realise for flavour and grounding, my dungeon would need to be defined, to some degree, by this magic. Still active effects lingered, some having been corrupted over time in unpredictable ways. The new denizens even learned to work with some of them, producing dangerous encounters. Further, I had it that the tragic end to the gnome's occupancy and the weakening of the walls of reality by so much illusion produced spontaneously-appearing portals to the plane of shadow, so the dungeon became a shifting and unpredictable thing. I don't know, but if this wasn't stamped with gnome-niche all over, then you must be right...

The gnomes don't need to be large and terrible movers and shaker to have a "thing"; in fact their niche is characterized significantly by their racial humbleness and role as the forgotten folk.

Dwimmerlied

First Post
Oh, and inasmuch as language really can, in my opinion give life to a race, my inspiration for gnome language is welsh. It works really, really well! :D I hope that doesn't come across as racist!

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
When someone says 'gnome', I think of this guy:

In our parts of the world, they are called dwarfs, not gnomes, which seems more appropriate to me. I couldn't stop laughing when I first found out in English they are supposed to be gnomes... I don't think dwarfs are good for nothing though.

Dungeoneer

First Post
In our parts of the world, they are called dwarfs, not gnomes, which seems more appropriate to me. I couldn't stop laughing when I first found out in English they are supposed to be gnomes... I don't think dwarfs are good for nothing though.

So what do you call the short, bearded men who live underground??

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Gnomes. Let's talk about gnomes. I don't get the appeal.

First of all, what niche are they supposed to fill? They live underground and they make stuff, like dwarves. But I guess they're thinner? And more annoying? Or maybe they're just halflings that live underground. Regardless, they don't seem to have a well-defined place in the small races ecosystem.

Well, if you view the world with Dwarves and Halflings as the fixed points of small races, then yes, you may think gnomes are superfluous. But I personally find that to be rather assuming the conclusion of the debate.

Dwarves - well, they're dwarves. They fight, like gold, and have honor and all that.

Halflings were originally homebodies. While you could have an adventurer, that character was considered to be quite exceptional within their home community. The archetypes were Bilbo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee - guys who were rather of the opinion that adventures were dirty and messy things, and rather concerned for where "elevenses" were coming from. Originally, halflings are a contrast to the standard guts and glory adventurer.

Gnomes, meanwhile, are the ones full of energy and inquisitiveness. These guys were the real tricksters, the inquisitiveness and magic of small folk.

Then the stupid kender came along - in Dragonlance, you couldn't use something too much like an original halfling - too many Tolkien connections to allow a novel to fly. So they became manically and implausibly overwritten tricksters. By handing the trickster role to the world's equivalent of halflings, they had to do something else with Dragonlance gnomes. So, the gnomes became manically and implausibly overwritten mechanists, dropping all of the fey and magical overtones of the originals. This is where perceptions of gnomes wen awry, in my opinion.

Pretend Dragonlance connotations of the races of gnomes and halflings/kender didn't exist, and gnomes make more sense, in my humble opinion.

Well, that's the way they should be looked at. D&D isn't a min/max game.

Yarp.

It's a story telling game, as are basically all RPGs, of every type, from Table-top games to Video games.

You mean, if they kept practicing hard every day? No.

Unfortunately too many people seem to still try and 'win' role playing games, so min/maxing is alive and well. Whatever my character, I have a back story to justify the build. Most of the other players in my group just seem to think about their characters as a collection of things that kill stuff up real good. I've never played a Gnome, but only because I haven't yet thought up a good back story.

Its a GAME. Of course you try to win. Its got nothing to do with min/maxing because players were trying to win before min/maxing was even possible.

Remove ads