• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gnomes vs. Halflings - Demihuman genocide!

Gnomes vs. Halflings!

• Gnomes!

Votes: 89 42.6%
  • Halflings!

Votes: 120 57.4%

JohnSnow

Hero
Well, I voted Halflings for nostalgia reasons. I've never played a gnome, but I had a couple halfling PCs back in the Basic D&D days. And I've always thought little people with beards is too dwarf-like. On the other hand, my last DM hated halflings and used only gnomes, which he renamed "Waldleuti." I liked his little waldleuti - a lot. But they were more of a synthesis race than strictly "gnomes."

That's happening more and more in various sources. For example, Midnight's "gnomes" are more like traditional halflings to me, and its halflings are more like the elves from Elfquest.

Bottom line: here's what I really think. Little people are a cool concept. But by setting gnomes and halflings apart, you've basically tied the races to specific, and wiggy cultural roles. They exist to feel weird niches.

So scrap them both. Do away with all the baggage of 30+ years of D&D and start over with a single little people race. And make one that's flexible enough to cover Tolkien's Hobbits, Krynn's Kender, 3e's Nomads, Nelwyn, Warrows, or even George Martin's supposedly extinct "Children of the Forest." Look at the Faen from Arcana Evolved for one approach.

Then if you can also get rid of all the subraces of elves and dwarves (except MAYBE the evil ones), leaving only one of each, I'll be a happy panda.

Of course, since I'm working on my own homebrew campaign, I don't have to wait until 4e to realize my vision.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads