D&D General Goblin Campaign Ideas

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I will soon start a campaign where the characters are all goblins and look for ideas for it to stand out from more traditional campaign.

So far their homebase will be a goblin lair where they launch raids on nearby roads and settlements, explore nearby notable features of the land such as caverns and ruins and often get raided by NPC adventuring parties.

What else would you look for in a goblinoid campaign?

Grantypants

Explorer
Depends on how serious/silly you want your goblins to be. I assume Pathfinder's goblins are a big influence, but you don't have to take that route.
You might have pitch meetings where various traditional BBEGs try to sell your goblins on joining their evil army.
You definitely want an adventuring party or quest giver as a recurring enemy.
If you want to make your campaign feel distinctly different from a normal one, you could try changing how your players get xp. Maybe goblin players get xp only for how much they steal, instead of just for whatever they kill?

Plaguescarred

Depends on how serious/silly you want your goblins to be. I assume Pathfinder's goblins are a big influence, but you don't have to take that route.
You might have pitch meetings where various traditional BBEGs try to sell your goblins on joining their evil army.
You definitely want an adventuring party or quest giver as a recurring enemy.
If you want to make your campaign feel distinctly different from a normal one, you could try changing how your players get xp. Maybe goblin players get xp only for how much they steal, instead of just for whatever they kill?
It will be somewhaat serious evil align party of goblins

XP idea is nice

SakanaSensei

Adventurer
My wife and I are mid gob campaign right now in a one-on-one game! The PC is a "chill" gob who lives with other chill gobs and is tasked with going out into other warrens and trying to find other goblins that are, inexplicably, not inclined toward violence. Lots of mystery on what's causing goblins and other "monsters" to be this way and trying to figure out a better way to get other goblins to do the same without waiting on dumb luck.

Plaguescarred

So far the campaign will feature larger goblinoid like bugbear and hogboblins dominating and various other allies or villains, such as clans of kobolds, a hag druid nearby, a pack of wolf or worg, barghest hiding in clan etc..

The clan will be lawful in nature, and evil at its core, having a certain honor code where they're loyal to one another in the clan, but not as much to non-goblins. The clan will be in constant conflict with dwarves gnomes and halflings from the nearby hills and mountain, as well as elves from the forest and humans from nearby communities.

Since goblins don't have easy access to human town's marketplaces like in a typical campaign, trade will be conducted via barter, trading various previous metal, objects, weapons and armors for other needed materials.

During larger raid, i may have volunteer players also run 1-2 goblin monsters each on their initiative in addition to their own character, and as the tribe loose goblins to attack launched or suffered, i will emphase goblin clan member being refilled due to faster birth rate and growth of goblins compare to humans that take much longer to mature.

Slavery will be featured in the campaign. Goblins will collect slaves, mainly humanoids, demi-humans and kobolds, for food or mining work.

Goblins will regularly watch or patrol inside and around the lair, hunt or gather food for the tribe, explore their surrounding, and pillage nearby farms and settlements for ressources, livestock, slaves, prisoners or food.

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
The PC goblins are travelling devout and pious followers of The Reformed Church of Maglubiyet who are on a mission to reform the public image of their god by working good deeds in his name. Non-goblins are, of course, skeptical and other goblins of the Traditional Church of Maglubiyet (who worship Maglubiyet as an evil deity) are out to thwart the goals of the PCs.

LadyElect

Explorer
Depending on your appetite for or aversion to stream D&D: there is a Twitch DM I enjoy, BrettUltimus, that ran an all goblin campaign set in a primarily goblin region that takes a more light-hearted tone. It starts with the players coming together as a wandering circus and almost immediately descends into slapstick chaos as the PCs pursue their various interests and goals.

He has his own setting, though, that drifts further from most goblin tropes than what you have described so far so your mileage may vary.

Remove ads