• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Goblin Picador

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Mal Malenkirk said:
With a 1:1 ratio of opponents or worse, the harpoon ability is likely worse than useless.

It looks like it can be a good tactical option, but only if you outnumber the oppositions against whom you are using the harpoon. Say you have 8 goblins including 2 picadors, two soldiers type and four skirmishers. You can use the two Picadors to tie the fighter and warlord and send the four skirmishers against the Wizard and Warlock. The fighter won't be able to help them until he's killed the damn picador. And the picador could be hiding behind the soldier, making it harder to get to him, all but guaranteeing that the two weaker PCs are on their own against the skirmishers. That's great!

Well, I would say that is useful whenever your opportunity cost (say, an action) is less than the cost to your opponent (their forced movement).

For example, when fighting an elite or a solo.

Are goblins still small? If a human (== medium sized) fighter used a similarly scaled harpoon, should he be able to harpoon a large creature?

Hmm, as a side note, how does this compare with the Ranged Pin feat?

Someone said:
And can you just cut the friggin rope holding you (and take care of the harpoon lodged in you flesh later?) instead of dislodging said piede of metal from your body in the heat of combat while a goblin bodybuilder is busy tugging you?

Good question.

also if a goblin harpoon you there will be a rope that cross the battlefield, if there are thre more picadores there will be more ropes, and the pcs are moving and the goblins are moving, and the other monsters are moving. Think if there are columns into the room or obstacles like that, Can you see how this could be a problem? Or are they supposed to be magical ropes that never obstacle no one or get tied up, but just keep you near the picador? Either way, I have some problem here.

fafhrd

First Post
Just Another User said:
Think if there are columns into the room or obstacles like that, Can you see how this could be a problem? Or are they supposed to be magical ropes that never obstacle no one or get tied up, but just keep you near the picador?
It doesn't become an issue unless one of the participants wants to capitalize on it. Example, 3 successes on a skill test to sweep the enemies with the rope moored between the goblin and the column.

tomBitonti said:
Well, I would say that is useful whenever your opportunity cost (say, an action) is less than the cost to your opponent (their forced movement).

For example, when fighting an elite or a solo.

Are goblins still small? If a human (== medium sized) fighter used a similarly scaled harpoon, should he be able to harpoon a large creature?

Hmm, as a side note, how does this compare with the Ranged Pin feat?
Purely mechanical or "mechanical interacting with flavour"? A little bit better in the second regard, I think - I can see a harpoon with a barbed wire sticking to someone without creating a terrible wound and all this limiting the targets movement. It's at least not sticking you affixed to a place... But well, maybe there will also be a ranged pin power for Rangers in the core books or supplements, so I might have to retroactively say that I loved Ranged Pin even in 3E ;)

Bagpuss

Legend
Just Another User said:
Good question.

also if a goblin harpoon you there will be a rope that cross the battlefield, if there are thre more picadores there will be more ropes, and the pcs are moving and the goblins are moving, and the other monsters are moving. Think if there are columns into the room or obstacles like that, Can you see how this could be a problem?

Only if you make it a problem.

Or are they supposed to be magical ropes that never obstacle no one or get tied up, but just keep you near the picador?

Not magical just "filmed" in such a way so as not to present a problem.

Either way, I have some problem here.

I don't.

Lizard

Explorer
Interestingly enough, I'm about to try out the Harpooner from MMV in a game. Reading through it, and the Kuo Toa 'specials', it's interesting to see how most of the question I have about the Picador are explicitly answered, from how to use the harpoon (take an EWP) to how to gain the abilities of the Monitor. Assuming MMV is part of the 'dry run' for 4e, perhaps there are more detailed rules in 4e we're not yet privy to?

Dausuul said:
No RPG ever written has had rules to cover every contingency, not even 3.5E,
GURPS come pretty near, I think :)

although God knows it tried. To take an example I've had to deal with more than once, what if the barbarian wants to grab hold of the tail of the dragon swooping down, claw his way up its back as it soars up into the air, and start whacking at the beast as it flies? It's not grappling, because he's not trying to restrain or hinder the dragon, just hold onto it. There's no Climb DC listed for "flying opponent." Nowhere in the list of attack modifiers does it tell you the bonus or penalty for "standing on the enemy's back." The DM is going to have to improvise something, because the rules simply don't tell you how to handle that maneuver.

For the climb DC is trivial, the GM has just to adjudicate how hard he think the action is and pick the appropriate DC. For the attack, it looks like a touch attack, obviously the dragon can't dodge, maybe with a balance check to stand up, or -4 to hit from prone, because you lack the necessary leverage, unless you use a small weapon (dagger or similiar).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads