Goblin Slayer: Controversial anime to get a tabletop RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
Yeah I'd only play this with people I trusted

That being said, I ended up liking the show, overall I feel like the way it handles trauma, confronting trauma, being captive to trauma, the road to recovery, and so forth was better than the hubub around it suggests, I don't feel like its use was throwaway or just for shock value, it stuck with the themes and gradually explored them in a way that felt meaningful.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
watched the show & read the lightnovels, there's definitely a lot going on that gets glossed over or shoved to the side in the anime where they play up the shocking parts of goblins. That's not to say it's not a pretty dark place at times but I think it could be worth checking out

aramis erak

Legend
After reading the first line of the article the OP linked to, I'm in the "Nope!" mode.
Edit: after reading the rest of the article, I'm in the "Maybe a used or discounted copy"

Having read the LNs, I'd say that the edgy grimdark elements are kind of mostly just setup to justify the real draw of the story: a lead character who is essentially an old school adventurer who views a fair (or even direct) fight as a fail state and instead does everything he can to stack the deck beforehand so he can exterminate his enemies like he was pest control, which he pretty much is. It's kind of interesting because most of the characters in that world are more typical adventurers and would rather pursue romantic adventure, honorable duels against the forces of evil, etc. It works pretty well as a story, IMO.

As a setting, though... yeah, the things that make it different from any other fantasy world are things I wouldn't want at my table. Hell, none of the characters even have real names, so unless you bought into the whole archetype as character thing, you'd pretty much have to make up any unique elements beyond evil, rapey goblins yourself.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Having read the LNs, I'd say that the edgy grimdark elements are kind of mostly just setup to justify the real draw of the story: a lead character who is essentially an old school adventurer who views a fair (or even direct) fight as a fail state and instead does everything he can to stack the deck beforehand so he can exterminate his enemies like he was pest control, which he pretty much is. It's kind of interesting because most of the characters in that world are more typical adventurers and would rather pursue romantic adventure, honorable duels against the forces of evil, etc. It works pretty well as a story, IMO.

As a setting, though... yeah, the things that make it different from any other fantasy world are things I wouldn't want at my table. Hell, none of the characters even have real names, so unless you bought into the whole archetype as character thing, you'd pretty much have to make up any unique elements beyond evil, rapey goblins yourself.
I agree on the grimdark stuff being mainly a springboard to setup a story about an standard adventurer/murderhobo type coping with massive emotional trauma. At some point in the LNs they mention characters exchanging names and stuff but it's mainly noted to contrast against how incredibly damaged GS is from past trauma.

The setting does seem to have some interesting elements hinted at that could be developed. People other than GS himself are definitely aware of/interested in it but in true murderhobo fashion GS ignores it to care for his gear or whatever whenever it comes up. The back of book author notes tend to really sound like someone who cares about things like world development & such if given the chance.

Reading the screenrant article about the backlash caused by the first episode, I actually watched it. The article was a little of an exaggeration and so I found, paradoxically, the anime tamer than I expected (with more fanservice outside the controversial scenes). We have goblins that are in state of permanent war against humanity. They plunder, kill and rape humans. They are not exhibiting a behaviour that's any different than humans in state of war: accounts of the Thirty Years War don't seem any rosier than the situation depicted in the comic. Even nowadays war crimes happen despite the risks: authorities measure the negative effects on civilian of their own nation, everything can easily get filmed as used as proof... And the TYW hierarchy on both sides wasn't proactive in preventing them.

I don't see the premise as "controversial" anymore than the Illiad where the main story is around intra-party strife over who get the nicer-looking captive woman. We don't ditch Homer because he dealt with this theme. Having the goblin acts described is necessary to understand the single-mindedness of the titular character: as a child, hiding in a closet, he saw his family murdered and his sister gangraped by goblins. His dedication at killing them, including goblin children, stems from that traumatic event. If it wasn't mentionned, and established that this is actual goblin behaviour, we'd have a character that would certainly be seen without any empathy when he wipes out goblins as evidenced in @Alzrius's excerpt. The titular character says that any surviving goblin will grow into a threat and become more dangerous than the ones before, and that he's the human survivor that goblins should have killed. The trauma explains a lot of his behaviour, making him an ambiguous character locked in an unending circle of violence.

It links pretty well with all the threads about "always evil" races but gives it a graphic treatment. If the goblins are "always evil", then GS is justified in his pest control approach of the problem (whether it happens on screen or not). If they aren't, he should let the next generation live, even if it means that some of them will, given that they are orphaned due to the action of GS killing their parents for their crimes and being already raised in a rape-advocating society, want to seek revenge, while others (a few? Many?) will break that cycle of violence. That will mean doing what is just, at the price of a few raped farmgirls that would have been avoided by doing the radical choice of not showing mercy. Always evil = easy solution, no moral conundrum, Not always evil = what do you do? Asked by the heroine if there could be good goblins, even GS, who could be an unreliable narrator, recognize that maybe some would turn out good. So we're really in this situation of moral conundrum that always evil would have conveniently avoided.

I am now interested to see how it turns out (I only watched the first 3 episodes). The rest of the world seem very... "D&D as if the characters knews about the rules", with outrageous exploitation of RPG tropes. I am not sure it would be a setting to tell another story than the one about GS, though.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads