Goblin Slayer: Controversial anime to get a tabletop RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
. I am not sure it would be a setting to tell another story than the one about GS, though.
Pay attention to the reasons self ranger dwarf priest and lizardman shaman give for hiring gs instead of their country sending their army to deal with the goblins (geopolitical reasons). Also there is a confusing scene that is more understandable in the LNs about the gods using goblins to play games of chance and bet on how humans will do with GS being one himss who never leaves any room for chance to make the results certain whenever he shows. The way the guild slots into the world politically and the hero too. Those are some of the things going on in the world that remember reading in the LNs that felt less clear glossed over or dropped entirely from the anime

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
Pay attention to the reasons self ranger dwarf priest and lizardman shaman give for hiring gs instead of their country sending their army to deal with the goblins (geopolitical reasons). Also there is a confusing scene that is more understandable in the LNs about the gods using goblins to play games of chance and bet on how humans will do with GS being one himss who never leaves any room for chance to make the results certain whenever he shows. The way the guild slots into the world politically and the hero too. Those are some of the things going on in the world that remember reading in the LNs that felt less clear glossed over or dropped entirely from the anime
It took me some time to realize LN doesn't stand for Lawful Neutral

Sacrosanct

Legend
It’s one giant rape fantasy. No thanks. And I’m not talking about rape as a topic that happens in war, I’m talking about so much of it, so graphic about it, and spending so much time…reveling in it, that I felt the creator of GS has some serious issues.

As mentioned above, there is nothing in that game that a game of 1e couldn’t already cover with the exception of rape rules and ptsd rules from said constant raping of all female characters.

As you can guess, not a fan myself.

Reading the screenrant article about the backlash caused by the first episode, I actually watched it. The article was a little of an exaggeration and so I found, paradoxically, the anime tamer than I expected (with more fanservice outside the controversial scenes). We have goblins that are in state of permanent war against humanity. They plunder, kill and rape humans. They are not exhibiting a behaviour that's any different than humans in state of war: accounts of the Thirty Years War don't seem any rosier than the situation depicted in the comic. Even nowadays war crimes happen despite the risks: authorities measure the negative effects on civilian of their own nation, everything can easily get filmed as used as proof... And the TYW hierarchy on both sides wasn't proactive in preventing them.

I don't see the premise as "controversial" anymore than the Illiad where the main story is around intra-party strife over who get the nicer-looking captive woman. We don't ditch Homer because he dealt with this theme. Having the goblin acts described is necessary to understand the single-mindedness of the titular character: as a child, hiding in a closet, he saw his family murdered and his sister gangraped by goblins. His dedication at killing them, including goblin children, stems from that traumatic event. If it wasn't mentionned, and established that this is actual goblin behaviour, we'd have a character that would certainly be seen without any empathy when he wipes out goblins as evidenced in @Alzrius's excerpt. The titular character says that any surviving goblin will grow into a threat and become more dangerous than the ones before, and that he's the human survivor that goblins should have killed. The trauma explains a lot of his behaviour, making him an ambiguous character locked in an unending circle of violence.

It links pretty well with all the threads about "always evil" races but gives it a graphic treatment. If the goblins are "always evil", then GS is justified in his pest control approach of the problem (whether it happens on screen or not). If they aren't, he should let the next generation live, even if it means that some of them will, given that they are orphaned due to the action of GS killing their parents for their crimes and being already raised in a rape-advocating society, want to seek revenge, while others (a few? Many?) will break that cycle of violence. That will mean doing what is just, at the price of a few raped farmgirls that would have been avoided by doing the radical choice of not showing mercy. Always evil = easy solution, no moral conundrum, Not always evil = what do you do? Asked by the heroine if there could be good goblins, even GS, who could be an unreliable narrator, recognize that maybe some would turn out good. So we're really in this situation of moral conundrum that always evil would have conveniently avoided.

I am now interested to see how it turns out (I only watched the first 3 episodes). The rest of the world seem very... "D&D as if the characters knews about the rules", with outrageous exploitation of RPG tropes. I am not sure it would be a setting to tell another story than the one about GS, though.
I don’t know that your Friday night dnd game is the best place to deal substantively with the realities of war crimes, ethnic cleansing, torture, and mass sexual assault. Such topics are usually only implicit, at most, when one describes the conflicts that exist in their setting. If explicit, they can easily become a caricature, a source of gratuitous violence that another poster accurately described as puerile (since edgelord teenage boys seem particularly prone to such fantasies).

additionally, I don’t think goblin slayer is the next illiad

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I don’t know that your Friday night dnd game is the best place to deal substantively with the realities of war crimes, ethnic cleansing, torture, and mass sexual assault. Such topics are usually only implicit, at most, when one describes the conflicts that exist in their setting. If explicit, they can easily become a caricature, a source of gratuitous violence that another poster accurately described as puerile (since edgelord teenage boys seem particularly prone to such fantasies).

additionally, I don’t think goblin slayer is the next illiad
This is the scene from the lightnovel were GS & Priestess rescue & mercy kill the wizard who was captured in episode1
How must she have looked to the man—Goblin Slayer—as she sat dumbly, forgetting even the pain in her shoulder? He strode closer until he loomed over her, frightening Priestess and making her tremble.

Even now, up close and with the torch illuminating him, his visor hid his face, and she couldn’t see his eyes. It was as if the armor was filled with the same darkness as the cave.

“You just registered?” Goblin Slayer asked quietly, noticing the rank tag hanging around her neck. He had one, too. It swayed gently in the light of the torch, which he had set on the floor. The color reflected dimly in that little bubble of light—it was unmistakably silver.

Priestess let out a small “oh…” She knew what that color meant. It was the third-highest rank in the Guild’s ten-level system.

Only a few people in history had achieved Platinum rank, and those of Gold rank usually worked for the national government, but after those came Silver, indicating some of the most-skilled unaffiliated adventurers plying their trade independently.
“You’re…Silver rank.” He was a hardened veteran who could hardly have been further removed from the Porcelain-ranked Priestess.

“I’m sure if you wait a while, some other adventurers will show up…”

Could this have been the adventurer about whom Guild Girl had been speaking?

“So you can talk.”

“Huh?”

“You’re lucky.”

Goblin Slayer’s hands moved so easily, she didn’t have time to react.

“Wha—? Ahh!”

The arrow’s hooks tore her flesh as he pulled it out, the sudden wave of pain leaving her breathless. Blood flowed from the wound as her eyes welled up with tears.

With the same casual manner, Goblin Slayer reached for a bag on his belt and took out a small bottle.

“Drink this.”

Through the clear glass, she saw a green liquid that emitted gentle phosphorescence—a healing potion.

Just what Priestess and her party had wanted but had had neither money nor time to buy.

She could have simply taken it but instead glanced back and forth between the bottle and the wounded Wizard.

“S-sir!” To her surprise, when she managed to make her voice work once, the words came pouring out of her. “C-couldn’t we give it to her? My miracle couldn’t—”

“Where is she hurt? What happened?”

“I-it was a dagger…in her stomach…”

“A dagger…”

Goblin Slayer felt Wizard’s abdomen in that same assured way. When he jabbed it with a finger, she coughed up more blood. Throughout his brisk examination, he didn’t so much as glance at Priestess, who huddled protectively over Wizard. Then he said flatly, “Give up.”

Shocked, Priestess turned pale and swallowed heavily. She hugged Wizard tighter.

“Look.” Goblin Slayer pulled out the dagger still lodged in the mail under his shoulder. A dark, viscous liquid she couldn’t identify was slathered all along the blade.

“Poison.”

“P-poison…?”

“They make it from a mixture of their own spittle and excrement, along with herbs they find in the wild.”

“You’re lucky.”

Priestess gulped again as the full meaning of Goblin Slayer’s words dawned on her.

Lucky the arrowhead hadn’t been dipped in poison, so she was still here. Lucky the goblin with the dagger hadn’t been the first to attack her…

“When this poison gets in your system, first you have trouble breathing. Your tongue starts to spasm, then your whole body. Soon, you develop a fever, lose consciousness, then you die.”

He wiped the chipped blade with the goblin’s loincloth and stashed it on his belt, then murmured inside his helmet, “They’re such dirty creatures.”

“I-if she’s been poisoned, all we need is to cure it, right…?”

“If you mean an antidote, then I have one, but the poison’s been in her for too long. It’s too late.”

“Oh…!”

Just then, Wizard’s rolling eyes focused ever so briefly. She gurgled from the blood in her throat, and with trembling lips, she formed words without a sound, without voice. “…ill…e…”

“Understood.”

No sooner had he said it than Goblin Slayer cut Wizard’s throat.

Wizard jumped, gave a low moan, then coughed up one more mouthful of bloody foam and died.

Inspecting the blade, Goblin Slayer clicked his tongue when he saw it had been blunted by fat.

“Don’t be upset,” he said.

“How can you say that?!” Priestess exclaimed. “Maybe…maybe we still could have…helped her…” She clutched Wizard’s body, gone limp and lifelessly heavy.

But—
She couldn’t get the rest of the words out. Had Wizard really been beyond saving? And if so, was killing her a kindness? Priestess did not know.

She only knew she had not yet been given the miracle cure, which neutralized poison. There was an antidote here, but it belonged to the man in front of her. It wasn’t hers to give. Priestess sat on the ground shaking, unable to drink the potion or even to stand.

“Listen,” Goblin Slayer said brusquely. “These monsters aren’t bright, but they’re not fools. They were at least smart enough to take out your spell caster first.” He paused, then pointed. “Look there.”

Hanging from the wall were a dead rat and a crow’s feather. “Those are goblin totems. There’s a shaman here.”

“A shaman…?”

“You don’t know about shamans?”

Priestess shook her head uneasily.

“They’re spell casters. Better than your friend here.”

Goblin spell casters? Priestess had never heard of such a thing. If she had, maybe her party would still be alive…

No.

She resigned herself to the thought in her heart. Even if they had known, they wouldn’t have considered these shamans something to be afraid of. Goblins were weak prey, a way for new adventurers to cut their teeth.

Or so she had believed until earlier that day.

“Did you see any big ones?” Goblin Slayer studied her face again as she knelt on the ground.

This time—just barely—she could see his eyes. A cold, almost mechanical light shone from within that dirty helmet.

Priestess stirred and then stiffened, disturbed by the unflinching gaze that watched her from inside the helm. She suddenly remembered the warm moisture on her legs.

She had been attacked by goblins, watched her friends die in moments, saw her party all but annihilated, and she alone had survived.

It seemed unreal.

The throbbing pain in her shoulder and the humiliation of wetting herself, on the other hand, were undeniable.

“Y-yes, there was one…I think… Just running away, took everything I had…” She shook

her head weakly, trying to call up the dim memory.

“That was a hobgoblin. Maybe they took on a wanderer as a guard.”

“A hob… You mean a hearth fairy?”

“Distant relative.”

Goblin Slayer checked his weapons and armor, then stood. “I’ll follow their tunnel. I have to deal with them here.”

Priestess looked up at him. He was already looking away from her, staring into the blackness ahead.

“Can you make it back on your own, or will you wait here?”

She clung to her sounding staff with exhausted hands, forcing her trembling legs to push her up as tears beaded in her eyes.

“I’m…going…with you!”

It was her only choice. She couldn’t bear either going back by herself or being left there all alone.

Goblin Slayer nodded. “Then drink the potion.”

As Priestess gulped down the bitter medicine, the heat in her shoulder began to fade. The potion contained at least ten different herbs and wouldn’t do anything dramatic, but it would stop the pain.

Priestess gave a relieved sigh. It was the first time she had ever drunk a potion.

Goblin Slayer watched her down the last of it. “All right,” he said, and he set off into the murk. There was no hesitation in his stride; he never paused to look back at her. She scurried to keep up with him, afraid of being left behind.

As they went, she cast a glance back. Back at the still, silent Wizard.

There was nothing Priestess could say. Biting her lip, she bowed her head deeper and vowed to come back for her friend.
Goblins engaging in rape is alluded to as one of the scary things they do, but it's never on camera in the original material like the anime based on them. The elf captives encountered later are encountered as the result of a sideplot largely dropped from the anime. In the LN those elves are used more as a vehicle to convey information about elves & the ruins the party is exploring. The party expends resources to get them out to safety so nearby elf tribes(?) can help them recover from their ordeal.

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
I don’t know that your Friday night dnd game is the best place to deal substantively with the realities of war crimes, ethnic cleansing, torture, and mass sexual assault. Such topics are usually only implicit, at most, when one describes the conflicts that exist in their setting.
I don't typically think of D&D as a game with weighty topics but Curse of Strahd got me thinking. For the most part the adventure isn't overly graphic, but the titular villain is a serial rapist, a stalker, and an abuser. Strahd is pretty damned horrific and probably hits close to home for some people.

The first episode of the anime is good if you ever wondered about the new players TPKing at the first encounter in Lost Mines of Phandelver. It is aimed at RPG players or at least viewers well versed in the tropes and it shows the effects of what are often standard storylines or backstories. It is not the next great Western Novel, but it never meant to be that. It is a rated R comic book.

In the anime, the rape is implied, not shown. But it is there and many people would have some issue with it. Considering the horrifying percentage of women who are raped, it is does need a warning.

The series is a decent arc showing the Goblin Slayer and the Goblin Lord who are similar in many ways. It is not all grimdark and the ending even is a little uplifting.

it is pretty darned generic as a fantasy world, but if this is really an English translation of Sword World then I am certainly in. My job used to bring me to Japan several times a year and I went to game stores in Tokyo. I bought the rule book but I cannot read it. Have always wanted to read it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Reading the screenrant article about the backlash caused by the first episode, I actually watched it. The article was a little of an exaggeration and so I found, paradoxically, the anime tamer than I expected (with more fanservice outside the controversial scenes). We have goblins that are in state of permanent war against humanity. They plunder, kill and rape humans. They are not exhibiting a behaviour that's any different than humans in state of war: accounts of the Thirty Years War don't seem any rosier than the situation depicted in the comic. Even nowadays war crimes happen despite the risks: authorities measure the negative effects on civilian of their own nation, everything can easily get filmed as used as proof... And the TYW hierarchy on both sides wasn't proactive in preventing them.

I don't see the premise as "controversial" anymore than the Illiad where the main story is around intra-party strife over who get the nicer-looking captive woman. We don't ditch Homer because he dealt with this theme. Having the goblin acts described is necessary to understand the single-mindedness of the titular character: as a child, hiding in a closet, he saw his family murdered and his sister gangraped by goblins. His dedication at killing them, including goblin children, stems from that traumatic event. If it wasn't mentionned, and established that this is actual goblin behaviour, we'd have a character that would certainly be seen without any empathy when he wipes out goblins as evidenced in @Alzrius's excerpt. The titular character says that any surviving goblin will grow into a threat and become more dangerous than the ones before, and that he's the human survivor that goblins should have killed. The trauma explains a lot of his behaviour, making him an ambiguous character locked in an unending circle of violence.

It links pretty well with all the threads about "always evil" races but gives it a graphic treatment. If the goblins are "always evil", then GS is justified in his pest control approach of the problem (whether it happens on screen or not). If they aren't, he should let the next generation live, even if it means that some of them will, given that they are orphaned due to the action of GS killing their parents for their crimes and being already raised in a rape-advocating society, want to seek revenge, while others (a few? Many?) will break that cycle of violence. That will mean doing what is just, at the price of a few raped farmgirls that would have been avoided by doing the radical choice of not showing mercy. Always evil = easy solution, no moral conundrum, Not always evil = what do you do? Asked by the heroine if there could be good goblins, even GS, who could be an unreliable narrator, recognize that maybe some would turn out good. So we're really in this situation of moral conundrum that always evil would have conveniently avoided.

I am now interested to see how it turns out (I only watched the first 3 episodes). The rest of the world seem very... "D&D as if the characters knews about the rules", with outrageous exploitation of RPG tropes. I am not sure it would be a setting to tell another story than the one about GS, though.
Your defense of the show is a combination of whataboutism and a thermian argument.

In-world lore doesn’t justify a writing decision. The writer could just as easily have lost their entire village to a “no survivors” raid, and left out “gang rape of literal children” as a story element.

“History is full of war crimes” is completely irrelevant.

“Whatabout Homer!?!!!1!” Is, as an argument, DOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads