D&D 5E Goblin War Drummer - Bard / Rogue, build help requested

ElterAgo

Explorer
Need some help with a build.
New campaign starting at level 2. We do not yet know how high level it will go.
The party theme is: now that the war (previous campaign) is over, we're getting the band back together. Everyone in the group will be partly or completely bard.

Without a whole lot of forethought, I have chosen bard and rogue. I picked the college of spirits. For the band role, I picked the drummer. Since I keep envisioning 'Animal' from the muppets, I picked a goblin for the race.

I have a lot of visual ideas and a fair bit of the background. However, I don't have much for the build itself.
  • 1 level of rogue and the rest bard of spirits?
  • only 1 level of bard (then no college) and the rest rogue?
  • 3 levels of bard to get the college of spirits and the rest rogue?
  • if 3 or more levels of rogue, then what subclass? Kinda thinking about arcane trickster to advance the total caster level a bit. But I'm aware most don't really like the arcane trickster.

Thinking melee combat should be dual wielding drum mallets (clubs). Ranged could be cymbals with edges sharpened (throwing stars) or spells.

Oh, almost forgot, the DM is giving us an extra feat for the beginning of the game.

So any thoughts or suggestions?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
An all-bard party is certainly a choice. But who am I to judge?

Well, first off? I'd pass on the level of rogue, at least until after you get access to Spirit Session (the College of Spirits 6th level class feature). Starting with two extra skills just isn't worth the slower level progression, in my opinion. And by 6th level, everyone else in the party will have more or less settled into their roles in the group, and you'll be better able to spot any gaps that need filling.

As a bard, you are probably going to be concentrating a lot...and it sounds like this goblin is going to be hanging out on the front lines a lot. As a goblin, you're going to be dashing a lot, too. So I recommend either Mobile or War Caster as your starting feat.

That's my two coppers. Good luck!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
You could also be a "bard"

Take the entertainer background so you have the "showmanship". But don't take bard. Oh, you wanted to be a bard so bad! But you just didn't have the "spark" (or whatever the heck it is that bards have that allow them to somehow wield magic as well as a wizard).

So you made a deal... a pack with the devil. So yes, you can now claim to be a bard! You have music, you have magic :D

(edit: I chose fiend because it's "traditional" (the devil's fiddle and all that) and because the level 6 power could be used to really boost performance checks).

Last edited:

Agametorememberbooks

Explorer
Publisher
I played a tiefling sorcerer with the performer background and he was the lead singer of a band. The actual bard in our group was lead guitarist. Thaumaturgy and Prestidigitation were used to maximum effect along with dancing lights, minor illusion, etc.

As a drummer, your sticks could absolutely be your implement!

ElterAgo

Explorer
Ha! I think we already have a bard / warlock and a bard / sorcerer in the band. Great minds and all that.

I will read through the setup again, but I think we agreed to take 1 level of each class to start, if we were going to multiclass.

Unwise

Adventurer
Have you considered the awesome combo of Fey Hobgoblin and Rogue Mastermind? IRC It lets you do a help action as a bonus action, and every time you do the help action you get another bonus, like THP, disadvantage on enemy attacks etc.
I think it would suit the style you are going for and is super effective.

Are levels in bard super necessary? You could have expertise in performance and a quasi-magical way for your drum to aid people within 30' already, just going Mastermind. Is the 'bard' bit, just what people do for a job, or a character class requirement?

ECMO3

Hero
Need some help with a build.
New campaign starting at level 2. We do not yet know how high level it will go.
The party theme is: now that the war (previous campaign) is over, we're getting the band back together. Everyone in the group will be partly or completely bard.

Without a whole lot of forethought, I have chosen bard and rogue. I picked the college of spirits. For the band role, I picked the drummer. Since I keep envisioning 'Animal' from the muppets, I picked a goblin for the race.

I have a lot of visual ideas and a fair bit of the background. However, I don't have much for the build itself.
  • 1 level of rogue and the rest bard of spirits?
  • only 1 level of bard (then no college) and the rest rogue?
  • 3 levels of bard to get the college of spirits and the rest rogue?
  • if 3 or more levels of rogue, then what subclass? Kinda thinking about arcane trickster to advance the total caster level a bit. But I'm aware most don't really like the arcane trickster.

Thinking melee combat should be dual wielding drum mallets (clubs). Ranged could be cymbals with edges sharpened (throwing stars) or spells.

Oh, almost forgot, the DM is giving us an extra feat for the beginning of the game.

So any thoughts or suggestions?
I like starting out with 1 level in each, then going to Rogue 6, then to Arcane Trickster 4, then probably Bard.

What do you mean by people do not like Arcane Trickster? It is the most popular Rogue subclass and has been the most fun for me personally.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Yeah I did a Dwarf drummer dual weilding a pair of light hammers like drumsticks. cantrips: Thunderclap, Message, vicious mockery can all be done via drum beats. And persuade your DM to let your drum hammers be your spiritual focus.

College of Spirits is a bit naff though, Creation would be fun, and Glamour gives you a good support role as a drum signaller

Last edited:

Remove ads