• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Going/Not Going to 4E which edition did you start with?

Elodan

Adventurer
Out of curiosity, which edition of D&D did you start with and what's your predilection toward 4E.

Myself, we started with the red basic set and made our way through 1E, 2E, 3E and 3.5E. I'm on the fence with 4E. I like some things I've heard such as per encounter abilities and fighter weapon choice meaning something. Not liking not using magic rings at low levels and lack of certain classes such as druids and barbarians in the first PHB.

As for the rest of my group (we rotate DMs), the rest haven't really kept up with the 4E news and the one other guy who is paying attention is learning toward staying with 3.5 as he likes its modularity (i.e he can pick X from this book and Y from this book) to make a unique campaign.

Thanks.

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
Started with 2e, didn't really by a lot of books for any editiion other than 3.5, and am inclined to move to 4e. However, I rarely DM for my tabletop group, so it's not my call (though I'll offer to run Keep on the Shadowfell as a trial).

mhensley

First Post
I started with the very first version of Basic D&D (Holmes blue book) and will be switching my game to 4e as soon as possible.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
I started with D&D Basic in 1980. Moved to 1st edition, 2nd edition, 3rd edtion and 3.5 the day each debuted. My group currently simply has no use of a new edition and I do not predict us taking it up.

-DM Jeff

Dausuul

Legend
Elodan said:
Out of curiosity, which edition of D&D did you start with and what's your predilection toward 4E.

Myself, we started with the red basic set and made our way through 1E, 2E, 3E and 3.5E. I'm on the fence with 4E. I like some things I've heard such as per encounter abilities and fighter weapon choice meaning something. Not liking not using magic rings at low levels and lack of certain classes such as druids and barbarians in the first PHB.

Thanks.

I started with Classic (red/blue/cyan/black boxed sets), dipped a finger in the pool of 1E AD&D, converted to 2E AD&D and played that for about ten years, switched eagerly to 3E when it came out, dawdled and delayed but finally adopted 3.5E, and am now champing at the bit to go 4E.

What this thread needs is a poll.

I started with the blue basic set (the one with the B1 module and the dice where the corners wore off, and you had to color your d20). I switched to AD&D when it became available, then switched to RuneQuest around or a little before the time 2nd edition came out. I switched back to D&D when D&D 3rd edition came out.

I am vaccillating. I was pretty confident I would switch until I learned about the 1-1-1-1 diagonal thing, now I am leaning towards staying with 3.5, at least in the near term.

Ken

Wormwood

Adventurer
Started playing with AD&D, ran my first campaign under Moldvay Basic (which remains my favorite iteration of the game).

We moved back to AD&D and eventually transitioned into 2e before dropping D&D entirely for the rest of the 90's.

3e brought us back to D&D. Ran some great 3e games. Played some great 3e games. But at this point my RPG tastes have diverged from 3e's assumptions.

I'm eagerly anticipating 4e, which appears very congruous with my preferred play style. But honestly, 4e is D&D's last chance for me---with so many other great games out there competing for my brainspace, 4e had better deliver.

Wystan

Explorer
I started with V&V, graduated to Red Book D&D then 1st Edition/2nd Edition. Top Secret S/I, Mechwarrior, Small amount of Warhammer Fantasy, 3rd Edition, 3.5 Edition, Vampire, Werewolf, and I am currently looking forward to 4th Edition.

(oh yeah, a few others in there too....Rifts, Shadow Bane (Shadow Spawn), TMNT, and my love of Larping.... :) )

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads