• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Going/Not Going to 4E which edition did you start with?

vazanar

First Post
Started with the red box. Moved to 1e, then 2e. My group stopped playing DD then returned when 3e came out. Just made more sense to us. I think our campaigns have been far better for it. However, I am switching between module campaigns (ie Pathfinder) and my own design set in Ptolus/Iron Kingdoms. I also tend to borrow stats and monsters from predesigns far more than plan my own (save Iron Kingdoms were theres less choice).

On 4e? My players have been turned off by WOTC's marketing. They aren't intrested in even looking at any of it now. The DI is an annoyance since half of my group use macs. Since Im the DM I guess it will depend if paizo switches and if the encounter designer and DM job is really easier. Currently it seems like there are more special rules not less.

We also have three 3e games left to finish. If WOTC keeps delaying the rules for 3rd party publishers it will be four.

Having said that I will be getting the core books to try it out. Im also hoping DI stays free trial for the encounter designer. My group also is going to test the ease of dming, as my wife as offered to run Keep in the Shadowfell.

s.j. bagley

First Post
i started with the d&d red box and have moved on to every edition, since.
my small group and i are excited about 4e (the others more tentatively than i, but they tend to not spend as much time reading about it as i do) and will give it a shot when it comes out.

KenSeg

First Post
Started with Homes blue box set and have played in 1E, 2E, 3E, 3.5E. I will probably buy the 4E handbook to read but I doubt we will be moving to 4E. Actually my DM is trying to write a set of rules that will do what he wants, mixture of stuff from 1E to 3.5E I guess.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
EricNoah said:
Started with Basic (Blue Box). Not switching to 4E for the forseeable future. Not necessarily because of the direction of the game, however. Though ... honestly ... I don't think we know as much about the direction of the game as we think we do. We really haven't seen much substantial information, have we?

I quoted Eric's post because we started with the same set. I'm looking forward to switching to 4E because as tech-savvy as I am (I am a computer engineer, after all), when I'm playing D&D or doing campaign/adventure prep, I don't necessarily want to feel like I need a computer program to help with PC/NPC development or advancing monsters, lest I miss a variable.

Come on, Eric--you know that you want your character generators to be a nifty tool again, instead of practically a necessity for developing high-level characters and advanced monsters. :p

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
I started with OD&D (in a wooden-imitation box) in 1974.

Won myself an autographed (by EGG of course) copy of PH at Dragonmeet in 1978 and moved into a heavily house-ruled version of AD&D.

Produced a swedish translation of Basic D&D in 1986 and moved into BECMI at that time.

Translated AD&D 2nd edition in 1989 and transitioned my campaign to those rules.

Almost lost interest in D&D at the end of the ninties until I found out about 3E in 2000. Bought everything, translated the SRD and started new campaigns in 3E.

Transitioned gracefully into 3.5 in 2003.

Will at least look at 4E (i.e. buy the core books) this June, but the transition might take a while. Maybe I will just modify my 3.5e game with the best of 4e.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Wormwood said:
[aside]
Last year, the 3.5 campaign I was running for my wife and nephews (D&D newbies) stalled out. The kids just weren't having as much *fun* as we did at their age.

So I dusted off my Moldvay Basic set, cracked open the venerable Keep and The Lost City, and I marvelled at how much fun D&D can be when the rules get out of the damn way.

My nephews moved to Texas in January, and my well-loved Basic & Expert D&D collection went with them---so I guess you can add two more D&D players who got their start with Moldvay's red book . . . in 2007.

That's so romantic. :eek:

Remove ads