• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Going/Not Going to 4E which edition did you start with?

Shemeska

Adventurer
I started with 3rd edition, but so far I don't have any plans to switch to 4th.

I don't like the direction that 4th is going in a lot of ways, and having only so recently shelled out so much for 3rd, I'm loathe to do it again when a lot of flavor changes seem to be changes for the sake of change.

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
A started with AD&D (I played a halfling archer -- a class from the pages of Dragon magazine) in fall of 1981 and have no intention of switching to 4th edition.

Psion

Adventurer
DM_Jeff said:
I started with D&D Basic in 1980. Moved to 1st edition, 2nd edition, 3rd edtion and 3.5 the day each debuted. My group currently simply has no use of a new edition and I do not predict us taking it up.

That one.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Short: Started with Moldvay Basic. Not interested in 4e at all.

Long: I started with the Moldvay Basic Set in 1982 and bought the Cook Expert Set shortly thereafter. I moved over AD&D in 1984. I switched over to AD&D2e when it was released in 1989 (found the transition pretty smooth, kept some 1e elements). I bought the 3e core books in 2000 but was still playing 2e until 2001. I left D&D alone for a couple of years (became a dad for the first time in Sep '01, heh heh). I didn't start playing 3e until summer of 2003 and was happy to shift right over to 3.5 later that year, not having bought any 3.0 books apart from the core (and having seen plenty of problems that 3.5 fixed imho). I then picked up the 3.0 books that I wanted on the cheap from disaffected 3.0 players, lol. I've been playing 3e ever since and have no plans to stop. 3.5 alive :).

Davelozzi

Explorer
I started with the Basic set (red box), own a lot but only played a little 1e, then played lots of 2e and 3/3.5.

I am definitely going to purchase the 4e core books and give it a run, but it is by no means a sure thing that I will make a permanent switch, as so far I have not been wowed but what I've seen & heard.

pogre

Legend
O D&D
A D&D
skipped 2e - played WFRP 1e
3e
3.5e

I plan on going to 4e, but I also am running a WFRP 2e campaign this summer. By next fall I will have a better sense of what system I will stick with for a while - either 4e, WFRP 2e, or 3.5. However, I'm giving 4e a real chance before passing judgment.

Wormwood

Adventurer
MerricB said:
Started with AD&D and D&D Basic (moldvay) back in 1982, and am likely to proceed to 4e.
[aside]
Last year, the 3.5 campaign I was running for my wife and nephews (D&D newbies) stalled out. The kids just weren't having as much *fun* as we did at their age.

So I dusted off my Moldvay Basic set, cracked open the venerable Keep and The Lost City, and I marvelled at how much fun D&D can be when the rules get out of the damn way.

My nephews moved to Texas in January, and my well-loved Basic & Expert D&D collection went with them---so I guess you can add two more D&D players who got their start with Moldvay's red book . . . in 2007.

Rauol_Duke

First Post
Started with the Red Box in about '82, moved on to AD&D, mostly skipped 2E (except for stuff I mined here and there), converted over to 3.x in about 2002, will not convert to 4E, but I'm sure I'll play it eventually (since some of my buddies will buy it :p ).

Falstaff

First Post
I started in 1979 with Original Dungeons & Dragons (the blue book). I was 8 years old and had no clue what I was doing. My pal's older brother had the books and we'd sneak off with them and figure everything out as best we could. I have played every edition/version of D&D since then - even HackMaster.

I won't be switching to 4th. I will continue to play AD&D.

I will most likely purchase second-hand copies of 4th's core books a few years later, just to keep my historical collection up to date.

cheers!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads