• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Golarion Pronunciation of Drow

Azgulor

Adventurer
Kidding aside, I always figured it had the long "O". Lots of people throw out cow, but c'mon, there's a bit of precedent...

Crow...

Throw...

Row...

Brow... wait....

DAM (sp intended) YOU ENGLISH LANGUAGE!!!! Why do you vex us so?!??!?!?!?!?!

I'm still going with long "o", 3:1 - let mathematics decide! If you throw out row for being only 3 letters long-o still wins 2:1.

There! Decided! ;)

JeffB

Legend
I'm pretty sure (if you go back through the threads) Gary pronounced it to rhyme with cow. I always pronounced it that way and never heard anyone else pronounce it differently until the Intarnetz. Pretty weird.

Of course, I also for many years pronounced The Grand Duchy of Geoff as "jee-off" :blush: When I found out it was pronounced like MY name or even "Goff" (hard "G"), man was I :rant: ;)

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
To me Drow as in rhyming with Joe, sounds more elegant, as something an elf might say, whereas Drow rhyming with Cow, sounds 'trailer trashy', as if the dark elves of Alabama say it like that - it has a 'southern draw' sound to it.

Perhaps it my Tolkien influence, but I tend to see elven languages as having a much more elegant sound. Drow as in cow sounds very inelegant.

GP

Velocinox

First Post
To me Drow as in rhyming with Joe, sounds more elegant, as something an elf might say, whereas Drow rhyming with Cow, sounds 'trailer trashy', as if the dark elves of Alabama say it like that - it has a 'southern draw' sound to it.

Perhaps it my Tolkien influence, but I tend to see elven languages as having a much more elegant sound. Drow as in cow sounds very inelegant.

GP

Imagine that. I am from Alabama and when I first saw the word in the original monster manual I thought it was pronounced like 'throw'.

But then, I've also had a small town called Ottawa Illinois in every campaign I've made which happens to be populated with a moronic group of culturally ignorant bigots.

Perhaps we have both made a mistake? (Then again, this is the only post I have seen of yours. So maybe I am still right.)

I think it should be pronounced differently depending on where the character is from.

That's what I chose to do. This way it appeals to both groups if they are agreeable types, or ticks them off if they are argumentative. Either way, it works best! :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads