D&D 5E Goldilocks Poll: Counterspell

If 5E's Counterspell was a bowl of porridge, and you were Goldilocks, how would you rate it?

• Too hot: the rules go too far! This spell is completely overpowered.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • Too cold: they nerfed it too much! Now it's too weak to be of any use.

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Just right: it works just the way I want/need it to. Five stars, will cast again.

Votes: 36 62.1%

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Again it comes down to degrees.

When its once in a while, yes its a fun moment to have the players just curb stomp a guy who doesn't even get a shot off. But when it starts happening routinely it gets frustrating for the DM.

Its not heroically winning if your villain doesn't get to be villainous. The ideal fight is where the villain throws down big, the players get scared, but they come out on top. You don't want the fight where the villain takes an action, it fizzles out, and then he gets destroyed to be your normal.
Do we SERIOUSLY need to have this discussion? It is trivially easy to bypass Counterspell. For counterspell to work, 1) the counterspelling PC needs a reaction available, 2 ) the enemy caster needs to be within 60 feet, and 3) needs to be seen casting the spell. Enemy caster runs behind a corner, counterspell fails. Enemy caster engages the PCs from more than 60 feet away down a long corridor, while his minions hold the passageway - counterspell fails. Enemy caster uses spell slots to summon creatures and buff minions before facing the PCs - counterspell fails. Enemy caster has two henchmen hold up a dirty blanket between themself and the counterspelling PCs - counterspell fails.

Any villain who fails to take into account common tactics - like archery or fireballs - is likely going to have a bad day; but the fault is not with the ruleset when you play the villain like an idiot.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
There's a bit of discussion about Counterspell in the 5th Edition Rules in the forum, and I'm curious what you (yes you!) think about it.

If 5E's counterspell was a bowl of porridge, and you were Goldilocks, how would you rate it?
  • Too hot: the rules go too far! This spell is completely overpowered.
  • Too cold: they nerfed my beautiful counterspell! Now it's too weak to be of any use.
  • Just Right: it works just the way I want it to, with just the right amount of complexity and fun.
Needs an other.

The spell itself is fine, but shouldn’t be the only thing that can cancel a spell.

doctorbadwolf

I'm also recalling older editions where a readied bow shot could "counter" a spell being cast easily...
I keep wondering how to make that work and be worth it. Maybe a bonus action to ready an attack if someone casts a spell, and they must make a Concentration save or lose the spell, as a feat?

jgsugden

Legend
I keep wondering how to make that work and be worth it. Maybe a bonus action to ready an attack if someone casts a spell, and they must make a Concentration save or lose the spell, as a feat?
In the past (3E), when you readied an action to attack a spellcaster and damaged them during spellcasting, they had to make a concentration check or lose the spell. High damage PCs would regularly stop spellcasters from getting spells off by readying an attack to hit them hard enough to make the concentration check nearly impossible.

Of course, wizards were enchanted with 4 to 7 spells at a time, so there was a lot more resistance to the damage.

cmad1977

Hero
Good blend of power and limitation, as long as the DM is not a phallus about it. The one I have some (minor issues) with is Dispel Magic: It's a little too easy to dispel ancient magicks cast by the Uber-Wizards of Legend that have endured for eons. Not an insurmountable issue, just an annoyance.

In some instances I have provide the character with a limited time frame that dispel magic works.

“You’ve cast the spell and the wall of flame vanishes... but you can feel the power of the enchantment growing rapidly... you don’t have much time before the fire returns...”
Which is usually met with...
“Oh crap! Go go go guys!!”

doctorbadwolf

In the past (3E), when you readied an action to attack a spellcaster and damaged them during spellcasting, they had to make a concentration check or lose the spell. High damage PCs would regularly stop spellcasters from getting spells off by readying an attack to hit them hard enough to make the concentration check nearly impossible.

Of course, wizards were enchanted with 4 to 7 spells at a time, so there was a lot more resistance to the damage.
Sure. Readying an attack in 5e is pretty rough, though. I don’t think it’s quite the same cost/benefit as it once was.

Remove ads