• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good Dragon Articles

Ourph

First Post
In no particular order....

"Living in a Material World" by Michael Dobson

"An Army Travels on its Stomach" by Katherine Kerr

"The Care of Castles" by Katherine Kerr

"Knowing What's in Store" by Dave Rosene

"Tables and Tables of Troops" by James Yates

"That's Life in the Big City" by Kevin Anderson and Kristine Thompson

"Wounds and Weeds" by Kevin Anderson

"Deserted Cities of Mars" by Jim Ward

"Halflings, Dwarves, Clerics and Thieves in Dungeon! by Gary Gygax

"The Bandit" by Tom Armstrong and Roger E. Moore

"The Deathmaster" by Len Lakofka

"The Duelist" by Arthur Collins

"Be Aware, Take Care" by Lew Pulsipher

Erik Mona

Adventurer
If people are willing to further indulge an enterprising Dragon editor-in-chief, I'd be interested in hearing about favorite articles since the advent of third edition. By no means change your "historical" list, but I am very interested if anything has stood out from the magazine's modern era.

Thanks,

Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dragon & Dungeon

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
One that immediately comes to mind (for 3e) was "Urban Hereos" in 305.

Oh yeah -- the Ebon Maw article (I don't remember the issue) was a lot of fun for me. Some neat ideas buried in there.

philreed said:
Oh yeah -- the Ebon Maw article (I don't remember the issue) was a lot of fun for me. Some neat ideas buried in there.

That would be issue #312. I hear the guy who wrote the article's a real jerk, though. ;)

And, just so I can say I actually contributed something...

I enjoyed the Campaign Components a lot. A really good combination of mechanics, flavor, and historical perspective. I wouldn't mind seeing those come back, and even expand a bit.

I've liked many of the articles that presented new core classes, rather than new PrCs, too.

DMH said:
The End of the World, 138- how to use plagues. Mostly based on the Black Plague, but has so much useful infomation that can be used for others.
Thanks for putting the issue number on that one. I remember that article well. Now I have to go find a copy of it!

JoeGKushner

First Post
In terms of 3rd edition, I like a lot of the articles that Robin Law and Owen C. K. Stephen were doing. They had a lot of potential role playing ideas there. I'll be yanking the one with the dwarf theme (war chants and other goods) over to a friend's hosue tomorrow so that he can get some more 'grounding' for his character.

Glyfair

Explorer
Erik Mona said:
If people are willing to further indulge an enterprising Dragon editor-in-chief, I'd be interested in hearing about favorite articles since the advent of third edition. By no means change your "historical" list, but I am very interested if anything has stood out from the magazine's modern era.

The Expanded Psionics Handbook preview articles come to mind. I think it was a very good idea to preview it and include things that aren't going to be in the product so that those articles have use even after the product is released.

A couple of other things that come to mind:

The entire "classic campaigns" issue: some of these worlds I'll never use, and some I would never touch. Still, it was a very nice theme issue.

The Robin Hood articles in the first 3E issue.

The George R.R. Martin issues. That's more because of my interest in his world and books. Then again, I was interested in the Terry Brooks issue, also, and I haven't read one of his books for many, many years.

The Gary Gygax "Up on a Soapbox" articles. Nice nostaglic look back, and not so long as to be intrusive.

One thing I forgot I had missed were the various games and such (including the Deck of Many things). Particularly the Tom Wham minigames, which were always a nice way to pass an evening.

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
Erik Mona said:

Thanks,

Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dragon & Dungeon

the only thing that stands out to me just off the top of my head for the new editions...

was the free DM screen that came in 3 parts. edit: and player ones too.

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
Well, I have a list of frequently referred to 3.x e articles, but it's not here. :(

That said, going back just before 3e, some of my favorite articles were the DungeonCraft articles with Ray Winniger at the helm.

Some others that stand out (hard to pin down issue #'s away from my archive:)

Ioun stones - discussed the origin of IOUN stones in Vance's work, and adapted it to D&D by, creating adventure possiblities in the prospect. I think this was in the 170s.

Bond of Brotherhood in 164 - The first article that made me feel monks had a place in D&D.

The Deryni/psionicist one was a watershed issue for me. Psionicists became distinctive figures in my game, and psionics more than just a "powers lottery."

I'm sure I have a dozen more bookmarked in my dragon archive at home.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads