Good First Person Shooters to try?

Black Omega

First Post
I checked out Team Fortress 2 and was disappointed by the cartoony characters but it did get me in the mood for playing a good multiplayer online FPS. I'm a little out of touch with the current popular FPS's, what's big and popular now?

Lazybones

Adventurer
Call of Duty 4 is coming out in a few weeks; I've seen some interesting previews. It has a modern setting.

For WW2 action, Call of Duty 1 and 2 (available now for very little) are very good. I prefer 1 actually over 2; the first game has a strong infantry emphasis while the CoD1 expansion (United Offensive, IIRC), added vehicles. CoD had slightly better graphics but I couldn't quite get into it. CoD 3 was an XBox 360-only title that I never finished.

Battlefield 2 is the best squad-based FPS IMO (haven't played the sequel BF2142), but it's can also be among the worst. It all depends on what players you can find to play. On a good server with a vigilant admin and players that use the VOIP functions it's one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. The problem is finding that experience.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I dunno if its big, or even when it's coming out. But Clive Barker's Jericho looks very very cool. (I know there's a demo out at least). It's apparently set in the Weaveworld universe, too.

(Though then again, I'm not sure how the multiplayer is. Seems more a single player game)

Testament

First Post
Battlefield 2 is made of awesome. Battlefield 2142 is pure garbage that was rushed out at least several months too early (why must I grind single player to get any of the fun gizmos? Why do the maps all stink? Why can't I have bots in Titan?). The Special Ops set offers some fantastic maps, but you can't have bots added in to make for a truly collosal battle like in normal BF2. My only beef is that artillery is just a bit too good, so map knowledge and shutting them down is vital. And yeah, nothing can sink a Battlefield game faster than teamkilling morons.

Call of Duty 2 is good WWII action. I highly doubt that CoD4 will be able to dislodge Battlefield 2.

F.E.A.R is a little bit older, but offers some truly nail-biting action in single player. The AI is downright unfair at times, its that good. Multiplayer is a bit pedestrian though.

When the nuclear apocalypse comes, two things shall survive: Cockroaches and Counterstrike. I wish it was only the cockroaches.

GlassJaw

Hero
If you're not looking for online multiplayer FPS's specifically, definitely check out STALKER. Amazing setting for a game. It's right up there with Half-Life 2, and there are definitely some parts of STALKER that I enjoyed more.

I've just tried the Call of Duty 4 demo, and I'm already trying to figure out how I'm going to scrape up the cash to get this ASAP. I've been a fan of the CoD games from the start, and I'm still dissappointed that there's no (PC version) CoD 2 expansion, but I may just have to forgive them now. :p

Remove ads