• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good First Person Shooters to try?

Black Omega

First Post
I checked out Team Fortress 2 and was disappointed by the cartoony characters but it did get me in the mood for playing a good multiplayer online FPS. I'm a little out of touch with the current popular FPS's, what's big and popular now?

Lazybones

Adventurer
Call of Duty 4 is coming out in a few weeks; I've seen some interesting previews. It has a modern setting.

For WW2 action, Call of Duty 1 and 2 (available now for very little) are very good. I prefer 1 actually over 2; the first game has a strong infantry emphasis while the CoD1 expansion (United Offensive, IIRC), added vehicles. CoD had slightly better graphics but I couldn't quite get into it. CoD 3 was an XBox 360-only title that I never finished.

Battlefield 2 is the best squad-based FPS IMO (haven't played the sequel BF2142), but it's can also be among the worst. It all depends on what players you can find to play. On a good server with a vigilant admin and players that use the VOIP functions it's one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. The problem is finding that experience.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I dunno if its big, or even when it's coming out. But Clive Barker's Jericho looks very very cool. (I know there's a demo out at least). It's apparently set in the Weaveworld universe, too.

(Though then again, I'm not sure how the multiplayer is. Seems more a single player game)

Testament

First Post
Battlefield 2 is made of awesome. Battlefield 2142 is pure garbage that was rushed out at least several months too early (why must I grind single player to get any of the fun gizmos? Why do the maps all stink? Why can't I have bots in Titan?). The Special Ops set offers some fantastic maps, but you can't have bots added in to make for a truly collosal battle like in normal BF2. My only beef is that artillery is just a bit too good, so map knowledge and shutting them down is vital. And yeah, nothing can sink a Battlefield game faster than teamkilling morons.

Call of Duty 2 is good WWII action. I highly doubt that CoD4 will be able to dislodge Battlefield 2.

F.E.A.R is a little bit older, but offers some truly nail-biting action in single player. The AI is downright unfair at times, its that good. Multiplayer is a bit pedestrian though.

When the nuclear apocalypse comes, two things shall survive: Cockroaches and Counterstrike. I wish it was only the cockroaches.

GlassJaw

Hero
If you're not looking for online multiplayer FPS's specifically, definitely check out STALKER. Amazing setting for a game. It's right up there with Half-Life 2, and there are definitely some parts of STALKER that I enjoyed more.

I've just tried the Call of Duty 4 demo, and I'm already trying to figure out how I'm going to scrape up the cash to get this ASAP. I've been a fan of the CoD games from the start, and I'm still dissappointed that there's no (PC version) CoD 2 expansion, but I may just have to forgive them now. :p

Remove ads