D&D General Good *generic* pre-printed color battle mats?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Hi all, I am looking for recommendations for poster style 1" grid battle mats with pre-printed scenery/environments. While I have a set of them I found at B&N a year ago (Tactical Maps Reincarnated or something), most of the ones included are too specific looking for me to feel comfortable using over and over again. Fire temples and standing stones and ice caves and ruins. There is one of a road going up and down a hill in a swampy wooded area I use the most. And that is what I really want: places that are generic as possible (and maybe can be supplemented with scenery or, if dry erase, a marker). A path through the wood, a field with a pond, a rocky beach, a barren cliff with some stone outcroppings, stuff like that - a generic market or town square. But still having some basic features to work with.

I usually draw my maps ahead of time for planned encounters, but for random or unexpected encounters I'd like something more generic to work with. Ideally they'd fold or roll up.

Recommendations?

EDIT to add: You can skip recommendations of print your own - unless the option is a cheap-ish Print on Demand service.

Paizo has a bunch of these - lots are pretty specific but you should find some fairly generic ones too. (Just remember if you are using a Pathfinder map ever other diagonal counts as 10' ;).)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Paizo produces tons of them, both for Pathfinder and Starfinder, depending on your fantasy or sci-fi needs. I buy every one. They have nearly 100 of them now. Giant poster-sized maps which might be city streets, or a forest, or a cave complex or whatever (or a space station), and they're double sided so you get two maps in one.

Loke Battlemats are fantastic. Again, various genres. They come in giant spiral bound books which you can open and lay flat.

Last edited:

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I like this one for a generic grid. It has squares on one side and hexes on the other for versatility, and the price is decent.

I have a very nice on with the 1" squares built into the artwork (its like a sandstone floor) made by Galeforce 9 but it doesn't seem available anymore on their website. You might find it on Ebay.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
This one has a really nice design for a generic city or dungeon setting. It can be customized by size and desired map material. Its a very nice mat visually so a little bit more expensive than the generic chessex mat.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Don't own it, but I've flipped through a friend's copy and the maps were pretty good: The Dungeon Books of Battle Mats (Two book set. 12x12

I think there's another competing company putting out a similar book of battle maps product too, but I can't recall their name.
Some that looks good, but I don't like spine and don't necessarily want modularity. Seems kind of small actually and still a bit too specific. Thanks though.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Paizo produces tons of them, both for Pathfinder and Starfinder, depending on your fantasy or sci-fi needs. I buy every one. They have nearly 100 of them now. Giant poster-sized maps which might be city streets, or a forest, or a cave complex or whatever (or a space station), and they're double sided so you get two maps in one.

Loke Battlemats are fantastic. Again, various genres. They come in giant spiral bound books which you can open and lay flat.

As I mentioned above the Loke maps don't look like my kind of thing. But I will definitely look into the Paizo ones. Thanks.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I like this one for a generic grid. It has squares on one side and hexes on the other for versatility, and the price is decent.

Thanks! I actually already have that! I am look for stuff with art already on it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Some that looks good, but I don't like spine and don't necessarily want modularity. Seems kind of small actually and still a bit too specific. Thanks though.
They do much bigger ones. Their giant books of battle maps are enormous. Opens out to poster size.

Still got the spine, though I’ve never noticed the spine.

Sounds like the paizo flipmats are more your thing.

Remove ads