• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good Military/Hard Sci-Fi RPG?

Karl Green

First Post
nerfherder said:
2300AD is available as an eBook, or you can track down a 2nd hand copy. There's also a version called 2320AD in production. More details here: http://www.travellerrpg.com/2320/

Ack, I've just read that 2320AD has been canned: http://www.travellerrpg.com/cgi-bin/Trav/CotI/Discuss/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=30;t=000216

Cheers,
Liam

Not to thread jack, but darn oh mighty this sucks... I have been waiting for this for a long while and to get no comm from Hunter or Marc just blows :(

cjyoung1

Explorer
I would third Alternity - a long with the Star*Drive setting. The system is great and the setting has just about all the "hard" sci-fi a person would want.

Eltharon

Explorer
OK, big important question:
How do these ships handle starship combat? Star Wars D20 (Which I have) had it grid based just like normal combat, and frankly, i didn't really get the feel for ship combat like that. Especially the little things that are easily exploited like ion cannons.
I heard T20 has a reasonable system thaty breaks down with big ships and good crew.
Blood and Space is just D20 future add ons, and it looks like D20 Future is just normal combat with ships and alternate critical tables. I don't know if thats good or bad, I havent used it.

So sell me on ship combat. Which one is best?
I'd like one where its not horribly big/little ship dominated, where you can run both really big and really small battles that dont take all day, and ones that have reasonable damage tables. More lethal then Star Wars.

Also, i have a setting. I just need rules. So setting recommedations are fine, but only if they have nice crunchy bits, like T20.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Eltharon said:
Its not really the lack of lethality in Modern that turns me off, its just I cant stand the classes. I dont know why.
Because it doesn't offer you a very easy career choice option at the beginning like D&D class-by-archetype model?

At least by the time one gets to acquire the advanced class, they'll be some differences among those who choose the same AdC; a Smart soldier (e.g., ship's engineer), a Charismatic soldier (ship commander), Strong soldier (ship's damage control officer), Fast Soldier (ship's weapons officer), a Dedicated soldier (ship's medic).

Eltharon said:
I also don't really like the rather generic scifi weapons. I mean, in PL 7, there are like 2 types of ranged rifle and one pistol. Doing 2D8, 3D8 or 3D12 damage. Thats plenty gritty for 5th level, nevermind first, where its one shot one kill.
Meh. This is not D&D, nor in Star Wars where Han Solo reckless chased a couple of SS, only to find himself being chased by a platoon.

Word of Advice: Cover is your best friend. Action Point is your second best friend.

As for the "generic" feel, this is a d20 Modern FX toolbook. Unlike Traveller and Star Wars, it does not have one particular flavored setting. That's up the GM to provide different makes and models because we don't know who is going to make what, unlike present-day weapons. Of course, WotC did that with Star Wars Arms & Equipment Guide and even that received mixed impressions.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Eltharon said:
OK, big important question:
How do these ships handle starship combat? Star Wars D20 (Which I have) had it grid based just like normal combat, and frankly, i didn't really get the feel for ship combat like that. Especially the little things that are easily exploited like ion cannons.
If you prefer an abstract system, get the Star Wars Original Core Rulebook. I tried but the old-school wargamer in me prefer grid-based (yep, even over hex).

I don't know what kind of problem you have with the ion cannon, but some of the more recent "Jedi Counseling" Q&A column addressed it.

Eltharon said:
So sell me on ship combat. Which one is best?
You mean the best, so far? Star Wars RCR grid-based.

Second best? d20 Future + d20 Future Tech (got some additional rules that was edited out of the original d20 Future book). Modify the rules so that ships do have facing, as per normal d20 Modern vehicle combat rules.

Eltharon

Explorer
Lethality is not bad. Lethality is good. Instant vaporisation at first level is bad. Understandably, cover is good. But my players never believe me when I say "um, you do know he has a gauss rifle and you're in the open, right?", and a TPK might not be the best way to start a game.

Anyway, I really don't know why I don't like the D20 modern classes. I see that they have their advantages, I don't want a game where everyone is a "fighter" (or whatever the setting renamed it). Maybe I'll give it a try.

I've got D20 Future, (never used it though) so maybe I'll grab T20, compare them, use the best of both and take it from there.

Last edited:

ValhallaGH

Explorer
If you prefer really abstract ship combat then maybe this will be what you want. Basically, I modded the Hot Pursuit rules (which are very excellent) for my True Star Wars game.

Aussiegamer

First Post
Doesn't SW basically use the same combat system as D20M/F? other than minor things like the 2m square than the 5' square etc.

And its more a setting/ campaign?

Eltharon

Explorer
The personal combat is identical, with some changes to autofire. The classes are new, and the jedi are really good. Ship Combat is close, but I havent fully read through D20 Futures starship rules so I dont know.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads