• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good/New Fantasy RPG's

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
A few weeks ago my group played a Dragon Age quickstart one-shot and I thought it was pretty good. None of us players have played the video games but that didn't hinder the game any. Plus you could easily adapt it to a homebrew setting. The mechanics were simple: 3d6 plus your attribute modifier against a target number. The nifty innovation is that if you roll doubles on your 3d6 you get a random number of stunt points to allow your character to do extra special actions on their turn. I've never played with the full rules but the quickstart rules were easy to grasp and we got to playing very quickly.

The quickstart rules are free here:
Dragon Age RPG Quickstart Guide PDF (Green Ronin Publishing)

Treebore

First Post
A few weeks ago my group played a Dragon Age quickstart one-shot and I thought it was pretty good. None of us players have played the video games but that didn't hinder the game any. Plus you could easily adapt it to a homebrew setting. The mechanics were simple: 3d6 plus your attribute modifier against a target number. The nifty innovation is that if you roll doubles on your 3d6 you get a random number of stunt points to allow your character to do extra special actions on their turn. I've never played with the full rules but the quickstart rules were easy to grasp and we got to playing very quickly.

The quickstart rules are free here:
Dragon Age RPG Quickstart Guide PDF (Green Ronin Publishing)

My group had fun with this one too. We used the first boxed set and went to level 4. Worth looking into for sure.

MortonStromgal

First Post
Heres a list of non d20 Fantasy games I have enjoyed. Some of these are out of print.

Earthdawn (1e)
Warhammer Fantasy (2e)
Banestorm (GURPS)
Hellfrost (Savage Worlds)
Runequest
Conan (GURPS)
Desolation
Burning Wheel
Warhammer Fantasy (3e)
Celtic Myth (GURPS)
Middle Earth Roleplaying System
Lord of the Rings

Each of them has their own advantages and disadvantages. If I had to pick 3 I would say Warhammer 2e, Earthdawn 1e, and Desolation but it really depends on what your looking for. Savage Worlds and GURPS have alot of other worlds to choose from so you dont have to relearn the rules to switch games.

Remove ads