• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

good place to buy old books

rossik

Explorer
i whant to to buy more classic/original d&d, and i bought some excelent books from nobleknight.

anyone have other recomendations?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Honestly, I do a lot of online shopping and, for used RPG books, the only three places that seem to be consistently good for me are Noble Knight Games and the ENWorld (or Circvs Maximvs) sales/trades threads/forums. The Bartertown forums are easily the best place to trade or buy used minis (though it's really only minis at the end of the day, despite the occassional post for used RPG books).

Elf Witch

First Post
I get a lot of old books from Ebay. I have eventually found most of what I was looking for and I have never paid more than 15 dollars and that included shipping.

The only downside is if you want a certain book right away.

Kheti sa-Menik

First Post
Local cons on university campuses. Seriously. A largish university's rpg club hosts a convention and invites local FLGS'es for a small dealer room. These vendors will bring new stuff but try to sell off backstock of old stuff at good prices.
At my local con, on Sunday afternoon as the dealer's room was packing up, I happened on a vendor who had a number of "vintage" books still out. One was a box set that I asked to look in. It was the Basic (Red Box) box with many items in it: the Red Basic Set books, the Blue Expert Set book and module X1, the White Companion Set book, and a copy of Keep on the Borderlands, all just shoved into this box, all in not bad condition.

I asked him how much for individual items. The dealer shrugged and said "give you the whole box for $15." I asked if he was sure and he said he'd rather I have it than have to haul it back to the store and let it sit. True collectors want mint condition; I like to collect because I like reading the old stuff and may want to play someday.

Anyway, local cons is my advice.

rossik

Explorer
Kheti sa-Menik said:
Local cons on university campuses. Seriously. A largish university's rpg club hosts a convention and invites local FLGS'es for a small dealer room. These vendors will bring new stuff but try to sell off backstock of old stuff at good prices.
At my local con, on Sunday afternoon as the dealer's room was packing up, I happened on a vendor who had a number of "vintage" books still out. One was a box set that I asked to look in. It was the Basic (Red Box) box with many items in it: the Red Basic Set books, the Blue Expert Set book and module X1, the White Companion Set book, and a copy of Keep on the Borderlands, all just shoved into this box, all in not bad condition.

I asked him how much for individual items. The dealer shrugged and said "give you the whole box for $15." I asked if he was sure and he said he'd rather I have it than have to haul it back to the store and let it sit. True collectors want mint condition; I like to collect because I like reading the old stuff and may want to play someday.

Anyway, local cons is my advice.

that was a great tip!
..if we had these sort of things in brazil :(

i always dream about garage sales...lots of forum guys talks about how they found a rare M.U.S.C.L.E. miniature, or a rare rpg and so on...

bad fortune for me, i will have to buy online

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
The best source beyond the online world has been luck.. always listening and keeping an eye out for things in the area. (I live in a small town with a few populated areas within decent driving distance). I say this because I have managed to find 2 great deals, 5000+ RPG books for $100 and 2000+ for $140 at estate sales/auctions.

Crothian

First Post
Another great resource is on line friends. As I've become more active on EN world and know more people I've found that some people are more willing to get rid of certain books to friends then complete strangers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads