Good Play by Email System

Tiew

First Post
My D&D companions have all moved to the other side of the country. Since "the country" is the US that's put a pretty big cramp in my gaming for the last few years, though we still play when I go to visit.

Can anybody recommend a good system for play by email? We've pretty much only played D&D, but something that's less miniature based might be better for this situation. I'm thinking of looking into New World of Darkness, but I don't know that much about it.

Fedifensor

Explorer
I know of a play-by-post system with email notification at HeroCentral. It's mostly for HERO system (Champions, etc) games, but can be used for other games as well.

I'm running one game and playing in another on HERO Central. Whenever someone posts, I get an email. When I get home in the evening, I go to the site (which, for better or worse, I can't get to from my work computer), login, then post a few replies.

S'mon

Legend
Any pre-3e D&D can work well for PBEM, but I prefer the simpler non-AD&D systems as PBEMs don't need complex rules - the GM has plenty of time to come up with a good ruling. Suitable modern retro-clones of pre-3e D&D include Labyrinth Lord (my favourite), Swords & Wizardry, Basic Fantasy RPG and OSRIC (which clones AD&D). All are free to download or you can buy a print copy off eg Lulu, or eg amazon.com in LL's case.

Emirikol

Adventurer
You could also try using a virtual tabletop such as Maptool. That's what I primarily use to play Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay with my friends in Finland, Belgium and England.
RPTools - Home

jh

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads