D&D 3E/3.5 Good PrCs or multi-classed Wizard/Rogues

rgard

Adventurer
Hi All, I'm working through my 1e characters converting them to 3.5 versions. I have an Elf Magic User/Thief that I'm now converting. After levels in Wizard and Rogue, Arcane Trickster is probably the best one available and I'll be using that for most of the build. Spellwarp Sniper is another good one and would just about get the character to where I want him after Arcane Trickster.

That said, I'm looking for other ideas. Anybody know of any other good PrCs for multi-classed Wizard/Rogues? Any sourcebook is fine.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Magelord, from Lost Empires of Faerûn isn't bad, though it leans more on the wizard side than the rogue.

There's also the Unseen Seer from Complete Mage, which allows you to (among other things) cast a few divination spells from other spell lists. Urban Savant from Cityscape probably isn't as good, as it's less rogue-focused (and you need DM permission to use the alternate prerequisite if you're not a bard). Daggerspell Mage from Complete Adventurer isn't bad, but operates under the presumption that you fight with two daggers.

Please note my use of affiliate links in this post.

rgard

Adventurer
Hi Alzrius and thanks. I'm liking Magelord. Probably that instead of Arcane Trickster. After low levels the character was primarily the party's blaster in 1E so that looks a better fit.

Thanks for the reminder about Urban Savant. That gets the character the ability to cast in light armor with no ASF. I'm not concerned about the alternate prereq as these characters will end up being NPCs in the campaign I'm running for two of my kids.

I'll check out Unseen Seer too.

For the affiliate links, thanks. I have all the books listed anyway.

Again, thanks.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You might want to look at the Beguiler (PHB2 base class) before deciding on a MC Wiz/Th & PrCls. Depending on the feel you’re looking for, it might get you closer to your ideal take.

Also look at the Martial Arcanist Database link in my sig:

While it’s primarily for WARRIORS who dabble in arcane magic, many rogueish builds can qualify for some of the prestige classes listed in it.

Additionally, I’ll put in a plug for one of my favorite feats for smart martial characters: Knowledge Devotion (CompChamp p60). Essentially, it gives you attack and damage bonuses for certain creature types, based on particular skill rolls. It could REALLY boost your damage, even with sneak attacks and weaponlike spells.

Last edited:

rgard

Adventurer
You might want to look at the Beguiler (PHB2 base class) before deciding on a MC Wiz/Th & PrCls. Depending on the feel you’re looking for, it might get you closer to your ideal take.

Also look at the Martial Arcanist Database link in my sig:

While it’s primarily for WARRIORS who dabble in arcane magic, many rogueish builds can qualify for some of the prestige classes listed in it.

Additionally, I’ll put in a plug for one of my favorite feats for smart martial characters: Knowledge Devotion (CompChamp p60). Essentially, it gives you attack and damage bonuses for certain creature types, based on particular skill rolls. It could REALLY boost your damage, even with sneak attacks and weaponlike spells.
Hi Dannyalcatraz,

Thanks. I'm familiar with the Beguiler and have already converted a different 1E character of mine to 3.5 using the Beguiler (dual class Thief/Illusionist). Yes, it's a fun class. I have your martial arcanist database already bookmarked. :)

I completely missed the Knowledge Devotion feat when I read the Complete Champion. That's wickedly good for characters with lots of skill points (Rogues, Bards, Beguilers, etc) to spend. That's a great one, thanks. I'll be redoing a couple of converted characters using that.

Thanks again,
Rich

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hi Dannyalcatraz,

Thanks. I'm familiar with the Beguiler and have already converted a different 1E character of mine to 3.5 using the Beguiler (dual class Thief/Illusionist). Yes, it's a fun class. I have your martial arcanist database already bookmarked. :)

I completely missed the Knowledge Devotion feat when I read the Complete Champion. That's wickedly good for characters with lots of skill points (Rogues, Bards, Beguilers, etc) to spend. That's a great one, thanks. I'll be redoing a couple of converted characters using that.

Thanks again,
Rich
I discovered it making a PC whose core concept was “Arcane Paladin”. Multiclassing was key. 😉

In play, it functioned sort of like a variable Favored Enemy/Smite. It was less consistent in bonuses granted (of course) but MUCH broader in utility, Because I maxed out the relevant skills*, it was pretty common for my PC to have +3Att/Dam (or better) insight bonus against nearly every enemy in a given melee.

* for those without the book at hand:

Arcana: constructs, dragons, magical beasts
Dungeoneering: aberrations, oozes
Local: humanoids
Nature: animals, fey, giants, monstrous humanoids, plants, vermin
Religion: undead
The Planes: outsiders, elementals

The bonus value depends on your Knowledge check result, as given on this table:
Check Result Bonus Granted
Up to 15 +1
16—25 +2
26—30 +3
31—35 +4
36+ +5

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yes. Specifically, the character was a Marshal2/Duskblade2/Battle Sorcerer6 w/Stalwart Sorcerer ACF.

Marshal gave the character access to Auras. Its been long enough ago now that I’ve forgotten the reason for Duskblade being in the mix. But there was a reason.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Cool. Maybe for HP and True Strike.
Extra spells- or more accurately, extra spell slots- were probably the #1 consideration. The character had Celestial Sorcerer Lance as one of his feats: 1d8/SpLvl Line vs evil only R:60' Ref: 10 + SpLvl + 3 for 1/2dam. Very handy firing into combat!

Attunement was probably part of it as well.

HP may have been a factor as well, but I’m thinking it was one of the few martial spellcasters I could add into the mix that had access to heavier armor right out of the gate.

Last edited:

Remove ads