D&D 5E Goodberries and Eberron

ChaosOS

Legend
I've always interpreted it as it's an intentional hole. Notably, no house deals with raw resource extraction - mining, logging, farming. Why is that important? The houses can't legally own land. This is where the nobility and the Aurum step in - they can own land and extract its resources. Sure, there's a diversity of local shops in town, but all the shopkeeps have to pay rent to the local noble who sits fat on his haunches profiting on other people's hard work.

Oh, also Eberron generally needs a labor revolution. But that's a different topic.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
You can absolutely live off nothing but gruel or an IV drip for a long time, even longer if you add a vitamin supplement... that doesn't mean that you will enjoy it & that it's not without side effects like how strict vegans need b12 shots or suffer side effects.

@Salthorae Mark of hospitality can cast create food & water and almost certainly has dragonmark focus items to do it for them. Mark of handling/vadalis could magebreed crops to make them faster growing/climate tolerant/etc with higher yields. Mark of storm can regulate the rainfall for irrigation needs. Mark of making will happily make you a fancy magic plow with racing stripes. Any common person can physically put the seeds in the plowed field & harvest the resulting crop after cating for it over the growing season

Kurotowa

Legend
The real advantage with using Goodberry is logistical:
For the same amount of space as a ration, you could have about 1000 berries instead.

You really can't. I considered that possibility, but if you read the fine print the berries only last for 24 hours after the spell is cast. So you can't distribute them as a MRE or stockpile them against future need. They have to be made on the spot and for that day only.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
You really can't. I considered that possibility, but if you read the fine print the berries only last for 24 hours after the spell is cast. So you can't distribute them as a MRE or stockpile them against future need. They have to be made on the spot and for that day only.

Well, based on the existence of goodberry wine, it would seem there exists some process by which goodberries can be coaxed to remain past that time and be viable. Not saying it's easy or cheap, but something like that must exist in Eberron.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Notably, no house deals with raw resource extraction - mining

That's recently changed:

E:RftLW said:
House Tharashk traditionally licenses inquisitives and bounty hunters. Recently the house’s Finder’s Guild has expanded into dragonshard prospecting. As dragonshards are the lifeblood of the magical economy, the house’s talent has given them new wealth and influence.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
@ChaosOS thanks for that point on land ownership and raw resource extraction, it's also a great point.

@tetrasodium I don't see the Mark of Handling having any faculties with crops or agriculture.
there's not much pc relevance so it makes sense for it to gt dropped/overlooked, but magebreeding is an old thing that dates back to the giants of xendriik or earlier; it would be remarkable if nobody at any point had started magebreeding crops & done it so far back that wild non-magebred crops were unusual in the extreme through most of khorvaire if not all of eberron.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
My mistake, I was going off a houserule of the spell that required physical berries to be enchanted. That way you would ship the berries and make them into Goodberries as needed.

Kurotowa

Legend
Well, based on the existence of goodberry wine, it would seem there exists some process by which goodberries can be coaxed to remain past that time and be viable. Not saying it's easy or cheap, but something like that must exist in Eberron.

Are there rules for Goodberry Wine anywhere in the book? Or even a description of what it does or how it's made? All I noticed in my read through of Rising was one or two name checks of it as a thing that exists. Was it detailed more in a previous edition and I've forgotten about it since?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Are there rules for Goodberry Wine anywhere in the book? Or even a description of what it does or how it's made? All I noticed in my read through of Rising was one or two name checks of it as a thing that exists. Was it detailed more in a previous edition and I've forgotten about it since?
going from memory, nonspecific secret technique & regular enchantments during the fermenting. It was one of the 4e books

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases