• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Goodman Games Announces 5e Modules

Actually it would be more like creating a video game that works on the PS3 without Sonys permission or license, and THAT you cannot do. Analogy's with video games get mixed up though since they are completely different beasts.

They key variable here is that the OGL lets you do a lot, up to and including create modules that use or refer to the same open content features identified in the OGL while modifying the numbers to conform to 5th edition standards. I can't think of any good analogies, but its definitely closer to the dominion of open source engines than anything else if you want a computer game comparison.

The OGL was a crazy Pandora's box and they knew it. The question now is whether WotC wants to let the flow of 3PP be directed by the old OGL or if they'd like to take the reins again and produce an updated version which lets them have a direct say in contemporary products aimed at 5th edition compatibility. That way at least they can protect current IP and also immortalize this edition of the game in much the same way 3rd edition ended up being the focal point of the last 14 years of RPG design.

sidonunspa

First Post
Actually it would be more like creating a video game that works on the PS3 without Sonys permission or license, and THAT you cannot do. Analogy's with video games get mixed up though since they are completely different beasts.

Ok better yet

making a program that works in windows.. I'm not selling windows itself.. I'm selling something you can use with windows.

still not piracy

Xodis

First Post
Ok better yet

making a program that works in windows.. I'm not selling windows itself.. I'm selling something you can use with windows.

still not piracy

The argument I made (which was answered earlier) was primarily about games like Pathfinder and the other systems that dont need the core system to run. In your analogy it would be like selling a program that runs on windows, dont have windows? Dont worry it comes with Windows just in case.

Remathilis

Legend
The argument I made (which was answered earlier) was primarily about games like Pathfinder and the other systems that dont need the core system to run. In your analogy it would be like selling a program that runs on windows, dont have windows? Dont worry it comes with Windows just in case.
To be fair, since we're talking open license, we should be taking about software that comes with a free Linux distro.

Crothian

First Post
My concern is are they going to be any good? When 3e came out we had modules written quickly for it and while many of those had some cool story lines in them the mechanics where not well done. When 4e we had the same issue except I wasn't even impressed with the plots of the modules. Coming out with adventures this fast for the new edition seems more like a cash grab to quickly take advantage of a new market then to release quality books for it. Those will come in time but I don't have a lot of faith in early third party books anymore.

Lalato

Adventurer
Yep. I won't even be looking for third party stuff until after the DMG comes out.

While I appreciate that goodman is offering PDF updates, that's not enough of an incentive to buy now. Same goes for Necro's kickstarter. I can wait until January or later.

I mean... How many adventures and monster books do I really need until then? Certainly not more than what WotC is producing. Even if Tyranny of Dragons is a big turd, I still don't need that much support this early.

Last edited:

Gundark

Explorer
I think WotC just may not say anything deliberately, to give themselves the ability to C&D a Pathfinder 2.0 for instance, while letting modules and other content slide by unopposed.

When you say Pathfinder 2.0 you're meaning an rpg using 5e's mechanics to challenge 5e, not a 2 ed. of the current Pathfinder rpg right?

Because if it's the former it's not going to happen ( and the later is REALLY not going to happen). Pathfinder happened because WotC bungled so much of the 4e marketing and release of a license . One could argue that they have done a much better job this time around. If some 3pp cobbled together a 5e clone and put it on the shelves right away who is going to buy it? How many disgruntled people are there out there who hate WotC but Love 5e that would justify this type of product? I would say there is zero market for a 5e clone right now. I don't see this changing in the next couple of years.

I would say that the only reason 13th Age got any traction was because 4e was "dead" and 13th age marketed itself as 3e/4e marriage with 4e style powers.

Remove ads