Goodman Games Open Call

Charke

Explorer
I always use the thread title in reply emails.

Goodman Games is good to work for. They published my first book and several since. They pay well and promptly and they are good at replying to emails. Naturally they're swamped right now but if you get hired expect better communication after the surge.

I've met Joseph and several of the staff over at GenCon which they attend regularly and they're all good people. However - I would prefer that you did not apply to the open call to increase my chances.

Sigh, alright, good luck and all that jazz.

Mark Charke

Aristotle

First Post
I spend years wishing I were a game designer, the call comes for submissions, and I find myself without any reasonably good ideas. The campaign I'm getting ready to run feels too "out of the book" and none of my little world design projects are anywhere near far enough along in development to stand up to a submission process.

Someday Goodman. Someday, I'll come calling. :)

Charke

Explorer
Bah, Aristotle, apply now. You sound like you're afraid to submit your ideas. Just accept that they aren't the best ideas and send them in anyway. If you accept that, then you are leaving room for improvement and you have nothing to be afraid of. I'd be scared if I tried to send in a perfect idea. The problem isn't getting ideas, the problem is the courage to submit them for fear of being rejected.

I submitted some odd 5 ideas. I've worked for Goodman Games before so I sort of just tossed them out there. When I have more time I'll probably coble together something more serrious. Most of the ideas I haven't started. They're not expected you to have the products done. They're idea fishing.

Serriously, submit some ideas. Remember that they are also looking for people to just help write other stuff. Submitting puts you on their radar and you could end getting asked to work on stuff. Posting that you aren't going to submit is safer, but they probably won't ask you to work for them that way.

The worst thing they are going to do is send you a very polite letter turning down your ideas. Wizards sends the best rejection letters but Goodman is pretty good too. They might not be sending them out though with such large numbers of submissions though.

The worst thing you are going to have to endure is some stuck up writer telling you what to do on the forums!! Submit or I'll make a silly face at you and say Ni!

You stuck your foot out. Now you're going to get dragged into the door. Welcome to the Twilight, er, Goodman Games' Zone! Write back when you've made a submission!

Mark Charke

Donatello

Explorer
Well, they did say only send one thing that really grabbed us, and not just shotgun ideas. I have a ton of ideas, but I put my best foot forward for the submission. Once I get feedback on one, then I'll send the next if they're still accepting submissions.

Retreater

Legend
What 4e product lines for adventures is Goodman Producing other than DCC? I have numerous DCC adventures for 3.5, and the idea I have probably wouldn't exactly fit. (It's longer, not so much "old school" flavored, and isn't entirely underground.)

Retreater

Patrice

First Post
If I may give you a small piece of advice: dump all your 3.5 crawls. You still maybe might use the hooks, but if these ideas keep rumbling around in your imagination, they will surge another way in another shape and become useful again. You obviously can't design something for 4th that's been fit for the 3rd. Get a new start.

I have sent my 1st submission, and I will send others too as they flow.
I'm not sure there's any good rule such as waiting for an answer and send pitches one after the other or machine-gunning 'till you break the defense line. It's actually not a defense line. If you send 3 good ones, you might get published thrice, why not? If one's not good enough, it's not good enough, should you wait for ages or not.

:cool:

tadk

Explorer
I have done nothing official with GG.
But I am a huge fan of one of their lines and I have enjoyed complete support in my fan quality materials.
So Go Ahead and submit all you 4E types

SteelCoyote

First Post
So, are proposals to be only 250 words, or one page in a standard font in a standard document file (like Word)?

If you can’t compose a clean 250 word proposal, this might not be the right line of work.

• Why only one page? If you can’t capture the heart of a project in a 1-page synopsis, odds are that it is still too vague, and hasn’t been developed enough.

//Harley

Remove ads