Goodman Games To Resurrect The Isle of Dread

At Gen Con, Goodman Games announced the second in its Original Adventures Reincarnated series. Following on from Into the Borderlands (which they say was their biggest ever release) will be X1: The Isle of Dread, including the two original publications and a D&D 5E conversion.

At Gen Con, Goodman Games announced the second in its Original Adventures Reincarnated series. Following on from Into the Borderlands (which they say was their biggest ever release) will be X1: The Isle of Dread, including the two original publications and a D&D 5E conversion.

IsleOfDread900.jpg

"The first volume, Into the Borderlands, was the biggest release in the history of Goodman Games. The reception to it continues to amaze us, and we are thrilled beyond belief. And we are very proud to announce that the second volume in the series is…drum roll please…X1: The Isle of Dread! OAR 2: The Isle of Dread will contain scans of the two original TSR publications of Isle of Dread (orange cover and blue cover editions), plus a 5E conversion, as well as interviews with original creators and other special features! We’ve also updated the mapping style of the 5E edition, so it will now feature illustrated hand-drawn maps that bring back memories of the original TSR style. Lead writer Chris Doyle and editor Tim Wadzinski return to the project after doing such a great job on OAR 1: Into the Borderlands. Into the Borderlands is back in print and available, by the way, so check your FLGS or our online store for your copy today! And Original Adventures Reincarnated 2: Isle of Dread is currently scheduled to release in November of this year! We’ll be sure to keep you updated with news about it as it gets closer."

The Isle of Dread came out in 1981, and was written by David Cook and Tom Moldvay. It's one of the first examples of a wilderness adventure (as opposed to the dungeon crawls common previously) and had the PCs explore a tropical island replete with dinosaurs, pirates, a hidden temple, and more.

smbakeresq

Explorer
All of the comments are true. I pulled mine out and saw my pencil markings where I tracked the ship sailing there and almost cried from the memories I had as a kid adventuring there.

SMHWorlds

Adventurer
I love Isle of Dread. I am less impressed with Goodman Games presentation so far. I will consider it when November rolls around

Winterthorn

Monster Manager
Fascinating! I took the time to read the interview with Chris Doyle, and it sounds most promising to me. OAR1 Into The Borderlands was a great purchase and fun read, so all told OAR2 Isle of Dread looks like a "must buy" for me. :)

PyroArrow

Explorer
I will be getting this! I actually am running this right now on Roll20, with other modules dropped in.
I was going to leave the Isle of Chult stuff as it's own separate place with a Godzillasaurus on it while Isle of Dread has an early 30-40ft tall version of King Kong.

I just hope they package the books much better and that they are in great shape unlike the "Into the Borderlands" books I received which should have been offered at a scratch and dent price.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

I grabbed Into the Borderlands and was not disappointed. I'm definitely pre-ordering this one as soon as I can (it's not available for pre-order anywhere yet, is it?). Always loved the Isle...even enjoyed it in Savage Tide (as much of it as we played there anyway...never finished the thing; the 3.x rules and design structure just didn't "fit" it imnsho).

I think I probably have about a half-dozen copies of Isle, all in various states of use...one is very VERY beat up, and another is still in the shrink wrap (various printings/covers). Same goes for my Keep on the Borderlands. If Goodman Games keeps the trend, maybe they'll move onto others like Palace of the Silver Princess, Castle Amber (probably legal probs with that one though), or maybe a Companion level one like Sabre River. LOVE to see Sabre River done up for 5e! :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

I'd like to see at least a brief account of other references to the Isle of Dread, such as the 3e Adventure Path (and any official suggested placements which were given), and the 4E location of the Isle of Dread in the Feywild of Nerath's Points of Light World.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The first one was 384 total pages with a few adds on the last few. So maybe similar page count?

Glad to hear it's their biggest release seller so far as a company so it shows there is a market for it regardless of how many people posted why they weren't buying it :)

Based on the description of the contents, I'd say far fewer pages: only one adventure instead of two, 2 original versions and the 5E conversion, plus extras. Probably half the legth, or less.

Remove ads

Remove ads