D&D 5E Goodman Games "What's new" from Virtual GaryCon March 25th.

teitan

Legend
Are they buying the JG stuff outright or did they license it from the guy running it? If they just licensed it then I won’t buy it.

Stormonu

Legend
Beyond knowing it is famous, I actually don't know why the City State of the Invincible Overlord is popular. Is it a module? A setting? Both?
Both. I have various copies of the old material and while it is primarily a setting (a City-State and the surrounding countryside), it has several included miniadventure locales and story ideas. The closer you get to 5E (there are OD&D, 1E, 2E & 3E versions at least), the more detailed and polished the material is.

Unfortunately, I haven't actually run any of that old material, so my knowledge of it is superficial.

I am, however, planning to run Tegel Manor this Halloween - I got "tricked" into buying the original ages ago (by Lou Zocchi of all people) and ended up never running it, and the quality of the 5E version has me anxious to actually try it out.

Beyond knowing it is famous, I actually don't know why the City State of the Invincible Overlord is popular. Is it a module? A setting? Both?
It was my first campaign setting, so for me it has higher nostalgia value than Greyhawk and Mystara put together. I would describe it's tone as darkly cynical: Grimdark before Grimdark was even a thing. It was clearly inspired by Lankhmar, and as such has similarities to Ankh-Morpork.

My understanding is that Jennell Jaquays now has the rights to all her Judges Guild work, so I would assume (and I could totally be wrong here) that there is no involvement by the current Judges Guild brand owners/legacy-stainers with this.

Are they buying the JG stuff outright or did they license it from the guy running it? If they just licensed it then I won’t buy it.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
My understanding is that Jennell Jaquays now has the rights to all her Judges Guild work, so I would assume (and I could totally be wrong here) that there is no involvement by the current Judges Guild brand owners/legacy-stainers with this.
Does she? My understanding was that all her JG stuff was done work for hire, and she's never owned any of it. I heard that Goodman bought the rights to Dark Tower, but not that she has any of her other stuff. It would be wonderful if so.

I did some digging, and it appears that they have outright purchased the rights entirely to Dark Tower. Jennell additionally has her rights to the work she did for Dungeoneer, but I can't find confirmation on anything else.

1617215428141.png

Does she? My understanding was that all her JG stuff was done work for hire, and she's never owned any of it. I heard that Goodman bought the rights to Dark Tower, but not that she has any of her other stuff. It would be wonderful if so.

Remove ads