• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Google Patents: A Wonderful Resource

Roger

First Post
Google Patents is now online, and it's a great resource for GMs. Many of the patents have excellent illustrations, and in almost every case, those illustrations are in the public domain. (I'll leave the intensive copyright discussion for another time, but in short, read this and this.)

Need a cool rifle? How about this swell plasma rifle? Or maybe you'd like that with a grenade launcher, or a bipod, or a collapsing shoulder stock?

If that's not really your style, this slug-thrower might bring a smile to your face... or maybe you'd prefer this one?

If you need something more discreet, this elastic-powered pistol might serve your needs. Or this crossbow pistol. If you're feeling more traditional, though, this pistol might be just what you're looking for.

With all that weaponry around, you might be feeling a bit vulnerable. Try on this fine helmet. Or for the retro look, give this one a whirl. And for that classic Orwellian dystopian feeling, you can't beat this.

You probably don't want to carry around all that ordnance on your back. You could use this fine motorcycle, or maybe this one. Or if those are just too boring, there's always this exciting design.

Or maybe two wheels just isn't enough for you. We also have vehicles with four wheels, or with six, or with even more.

But, really, isn't staying on the ground for chumps, anyway? You could fly away in this fine airplane, or perhaps this one. Sadly, I cannot really recommend giving this one a try.

Where are you off to? Perhaps to battle a monster, or perhaps a robot -- indeed, it may be that we're being invaded by retro robots from an alternate reality.

Google Patents. It's a big box full of awesome.

Cheers,
Roger

bairdec

First Post
The first weapon looks like the XM11 rifle (H&K) project for the US Army, which has been scrapped. The second looks like a French 5.7mm SMG variant (FN) that I can't recall the name of at the moment. The breathing mask and bubble helmet are both very old (1941 and 1965, respectively). So yes, these are real patents.

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
Jim Hague said:
Hey, question - are those considered public domain or not...? Curious, me.
Roger said:
Many of the patents have excellent illustrations, and in almost every case, those illustrations are in the public domain. (I'll leave the intensive copyright discussion for another time, but in short, read this and this.)
There you go.

Great site!

Jim Hague

First Post
*laughs*

Teach me not to read the posts... ;) So, how does one determine if the illos are public domain? Sorry for being so pesky - I blame the cold meds for my slow brain. Uh huh, that's right, cold meds. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...

Peterson

First Post
An excellent resource! Thanks for pointing it out to us, Roger.

Just what I need for the nights like tonight when I'm up all night, with nothing to do. :)

Peterson

Remove ads