D&D General Gore in D&D

tglassy

Adventurer
The group I play with all love Ash and the Evil Dead. Gore is funny to them. If we want to be scary, we have to be psychologically scary. My brother is good at that. He had his whole group freaking out as they went through a fairy forest, and we’re bombarded by hallucinations.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Actually, gore is not one of the defining characteristics of the gothic horror genre. Gothic horror is about fear, terror, the unknown, implied evil, and atmosphere. Gothic horror is subtle; gore is not.
slasher flicks aren't really horror, let alone gothic horror... sex, romance, & our base instincts exposed are more central themes there. Look at frankenstein or dracula

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
I seldom use explicit gore. Not for any other reason than I seldom remember to use it as I get caught up in making the action surge along. So I might do: "You lop his head off!" but not: "Geysers of blood fountain from his neck stump as his body contorts and falls twitching to the ground!" or some such.

Now, for the death of the BBG, I'll be way more descriptive and verbose. But even then, I've taken a cue from Critical Role and Dice, Camera, Action and will go "What does it look like?" to the killing blow deliverer.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
If they aren't horror, what are they? I mean, they elicit fear... just using a particular angle. Why aren't they horror?
a slasher movie.
Gothic horror is a wildly different genere

Comparing the two is like comparing hard scifi like gattica, the martian, 2001, arrival, etc to soft scifi like star trek:ToS or buck rogers.. All of them are science fiction just like both of the others are "horror"... but they are wildly different genres

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Comparing the two is like comparing hard scifi like gattica, the martian, 2001, arrival, etc to soft scifi like star trek:ToS or buck rogers.. All of them are science fiction just like both of the others are "horror"... but they are wildly different genres

I know slasher movies aren't Gothic horror. That's not what I'm responding to.

You said "slasher flicks aren't really horror." That's what I'm asking about. It seems to me that slasher flicks fit solidly under the overall Horror umbrella, and if you contend otherwise, I'd like to know your justification for that.

The problem with gore is that too much of it loses impact, and that it can really turn your players off from the game. I don't mind including some violence in the game, but I prefer to hint at the violence rather than describe the violence in great detail.

Sometimes it is simply more effective to tell your players that they see something grotesque that is the stuff of nightmares, than to actually describe what it is they see.

When it comes to players decapitating a monster, I reserve that for epic moments.
This is why i only use it as either a garnish or when a player asks to know in detail the description of something (when that thing realistically would HAVE to be gory. Such as when someone was scaphed for instance). I agree completely. There is definitely a time and a place. You never wanna make gore lose its zest by simply using it too often.

Remove ads