• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Got stuck with the cleric

Mr. Pink

First Post
Okay, so I got stuck with the cleric. I am fairly new to 3E rules. I played mostly fighters and rogues in 2E. The other players in the group have a Dwarven Barbarian, Elven Wizard, and Human Rogue. They want me to be the cleric. I know next to squat about clerics and am asking for your help in creating him.

I will have access to the paladin/cleric book and we will be playing in Greyhawk. I was thinking of a NG or LG cleric. I was thinking of being a battle cleric, but I was also looking at being able to create potions and other items. Any advice on spells, feats, skill progressions special classes that I can advance to later in my career.

I know I am really asking alot here but I have never ran a cleric. I want it to be a fun experience.

Mr. Pink

Lazybones

Adventurer
I've always thought that clerics are one of the better classes in 3e; they've definitely been toughened up and are far more flexible now in my view.

I'd start with the description of deities in the PH and see if one catches your interest, then build a player concept and background from there. The non-human deities also offer some interesting possibilities (a elven War cleric of Corellon with a few levels of fighter can kick some serious A). I always start with the domains I want and then build my spell/skill/feat selections with that in mind.

Good luck,
Lazybones

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
We will be playing in Greyhawk. I was thinking of a NG or LG cleric. I was thinking of being a battle cleric.

You'd be looking at Heironeous, for a start, then. Take the War Domain for some battle-oriented domain spells and the Weapon Focus : Longsword domain power.

Str and Wis are your friends. Con and Cha help out as well - Charisma for Turning, Con both for hit point and for the Concentration checks you need for casting your spells at melee distance. Dex is less important - go with heavy armour. Int is less important as well.

Especially at mid-levels, you start getting some great spells for boosting your melee ability - check out Righteous Might, Divine Favor, and Magic Vestment, for example. At lower levels, things like Shield of Faith, Bless, or Magic Weapon are worth a look, though not as effective as those others :)

-Hyp.

Tsyr

Explorer
Depending on how you want your character to shape up RP wise, for a battle cleric you might want to check out the Sacred Fist prestige class in Defenders of the Faith.

Bass Puppet

First Post
Opertunity is a knock'n

I like the battle Cleric. But it really depends on your DM. If you have a DM who is really into Role-Playing then you will probably have alot of downtime. I always like playing the Drunken Friar. I tailor my feats for combat.

Sometimes it is fun to play the most undesireable class.

madriel

First Post
Some other spells to remember are bull's strength and prayer.

Scribe scroll can give you extra spells when you need them, but only divine spellcasters can use them. Brew Potion may be more useful because anyone can use them.

Extra turning is a good feat to take. A lot of feats in DotF have that as a prerequisite. Check them out.

praetorian

First Post
Cleric is my favorite class both in 3e and 2e, and here is why: You are the one who keeps the party alive through your unmatched healing abilities (and sometimes the only healing abilities). Then you have some great defensive spells and a few offensive spells to mix things up. So spell wise you are mostly support with an offensive spell here or there. However, unlike other spell casters you can dive right into combat. Your weapon selection and fighting skills are fairly good, and you have enough hit points to take a licking. Even better, you can wear ANY armor without penalty to your magic, so you can fend off blows as well as any fighter or paladin on the block.

Now about your character specifically. You are going to probably choose between Pelor and Heironeous as your patron deity based on what you specified. if you want to go the more combat oriented approach go with heironeous, take war and law domains so you can use a longsword. If you do go this way, you need to pay attention to rping a LG cleric. This means you are going to be helping anyone you can, and being a good deal like a paladin, except not as strict. This is my favorite type of cleric, and I usually like to focus on defending justice, but it is a more difficult type because you have lots of moral obligations (which can be great in some ways). As for skills you MUST take large doses of concentration as you will be casting lots of spells with badies all around you. Healing is good at lower levels, but loses much of its potency when you start casting heal. Still I would take it if you want to care for the sick or injured unless you don't want to focus on healing others. Knowedge religion can come in handy so a few ranks there over time is usefull. Diplomacy is a cleric skill I like to get. Clerics often end up the negotiators and party representatives because they are usually respected by all good people, plus they often have good Cha scores. Feats I like are combat casting, power attack, improved initiative and extra turning, I am not a big brew potion fan for clerics but that doesn't mean they don't go well together, mostly it is my personal preference.

My last suggestion is to take up the party leadership if you can and if you feel capable of it. You are the character most likely to have good charisma. Also, not many people will respond well to the barbarian in conversation, the rogue may not be trusted much by others, and common folk tend to distrust mages. However, as I stated before, everyone usually likes clerics, the care for the poor, heal the sick, have the wisdom to speak with sages, can be trusted by merchants to be honest, by innkeepers to not cause trouble, and command at least some respect from the nobility. As a cleric you have great responsibilites, but in my opinion the cleric is a great and fun class to play from all angles.

Mr. Pink

First Post
Thanks

Thanks for all the help. I think that I Heironeous looks like the God I will choose. I think that I will definetly end up as the speaker for the party. This should be a fun character to play.

Mr. Pink

Kesh

First Post
I believe it was in Piratecat's story hour where this phrase occurred:

"Tritherion kicks ass!" :D

I've become quite fond of this Greyhawk god, so I'd suggest giving him a glance.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads